Cole Slaw Recipe
Grilling season is upon us and every barbecue needs it’s side dishes. When I think of summer barbecues, cole slaw comes right to mind! I love it’s freshness and versatility. It’s the perfect compliment to a juicy burger that’s fresh off the grill! Season your cole slaw with an orange and basil scented vinaigrette, stir in apricots and toasted pine nuts and you’ve got the perfect crunch, bursts of sweetness and nutty flavor in every mouthful!
Easy Summer Side Dishes
Be sure to round out your al fresco get together with more easy summer side dish recipes. Fire up the grill and cook up Grilled Corn With Tomato Basil Butter or Grilled Corn With Cilantro Lime Butter. Pesto Florentine Campanelle Pasta is the perfect seasonal pasta side dish and Creamy Pesto Potato Salad will delight your tastebuds. Jalapeno Lime Summer Fruit Salad is a refreshing addition to your summer menu and Blueberry Peach Orzo is filled with the fruit flavors of summer.
Burgers are always a hit at summer barbecues and Bruschetta Burgers With Crispy Prosciutto and Caprese Burgers both fit the bill! But burgers don’t have to be the only main dish cooking on your grill! Grilled Chipotle Chicken ‘N Peaches , Strawberry Basil Margarita Chicken, Grilled Skirt Steak With Cocoa Spice Rub and Spiced-Rubbed Sirloin With Chimichurri Sauce are perfect recipes for the grilling season. And if you love seafood then you definitely must try Grilled Mojito Shrimp and Chipotle Honey Glazed Salmon With Pistachio Butter!
Orange Basil Cole Slaw is an easy recipe for a summer side dish. Just season your cole slaw mix with an orange and basil scented vinaigrette, stir in apricots and toasted pine nuts and you’ve got the perfect crunch, bursts of sweetness and nutty flavor in every mouthful!
- 6 Tbs. pine nuts, about 2 oz.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 (16 oz. ) pkg. cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, about 4 oz., chopped
- Arrange pine nuts in single layer on microwave-safe dish. Microwave nuts 1 minute, then continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until lightly toasted. Reserve.
- In serving bowl whisk olive oil, vinegar, basil, sugar, orange zest, salt and pepper until blended.
- Add cole slaw mix, apricots and reserved nuts. Toss until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 6 cups.