Are Strawberries Berries? You will be surprised at the answer. Read about this and other strawberry facts you should know.
Are Strawberries Berries?
Strawberries are one of the most popular fruits in the world and there is good reason for that.
Strawberries are sweet, juicy, and versatile.
They can be a perfect snack, an ingredient for desserts, or even a breakfast staple.
But before we discuss the many ways you can enjoy strawberries, let's answer a commonly asked question, are strawberries berries?
The answer is no. Despite their name, strawberries are not true berries at all. Scientists refer to strawberries as a false fruit.
They come from a single flower with more than one ovary so they are not part of the berry family.
Fruits that are actual berries come from one flower with only a single ovary. This is a technical definition of a berry, and very scientific stuff, in my opinion.
But strawberries are a fruit and they are also a member of the rose family.
What makes this delicious red fruit unique is that its seeds are on the outside instead of the inside, which makes them different than most fruits and a delicious and fun fruit to eat.
Now that our minds are blown and we've confirmed that strawberries are not berries, let's discuss how to select, store, and clean your strawberries to make sure they taste their best.
Let's also talk about the flavor of strawberries, health benefits and recipes with strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
How to store fresh strawberries
Strawberries need to be stored properly because they are a delicate fruit.
- If you plan to eat the berries within a day or two, you can leave them in their original container and store them in the fridge.
- However, if you want to keep them for more than a couple of days, you should remove them from the container they came in and place them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined plate or plastic container. Then cover them with plastic wrap or the container’s airtight cover and store them in the refrigerator.
- Store strawberries in the coldest part of your refrigerator.
- Do not wash strawberries until you are ready to eat them or use them.
How to store strawberries in mason jars
A popular way to store strawberries is in a mason jar.
The berries will actually last for about three weeks in the refrigerator when you store them in this way:
- Place unwashed strawberries in a mason jar and seal the lid
- Refrigerate in a mason jar for up to three weeks
- To enjoy, remove the amount of strawberries that you plan to eat or use, wash them and enjoy!
How to select strawberries
When you're selecting strawberries, look for
- bright and uniform color
- firm texture
- a sweet aroma
Avoid any strawberries that:
- Have bruises
- Have mold
- Are too soft.
Also keep in mind that the size of the strawberry does not determine its sweetness.
How to ripen strawberries
Can you ripen strawberries after they are picked?
- The simple answer is no, you cannot ripen strawberries after they are picked.
- Be sure that the strawberries you are selecting to purchase are ripe before purchasing because they do not continue to ripen once they have been picked
How to clean strawberries
Before enjoying your strawberries, it is important to clean them correctly.
- First, remove the green stem by gently twisting it off or using a strawberry huller.
- Next, rinse the strawberries under cool running water in a colander and then gently pat them dry with a paper towel or a clean cloth.
- Avoid soaking the berries in water because they can become waterlogged and will lose their flavor.
Are strawberries acidic
- Based on their ph level, strawberries are considered to be acidic.
- Strawberries have a low ph of 3.0-3.5 and are therefore thought to be acidic.
What does strawberry taste like
The flavor of a strawberry is:
- sweet and tangy
- slightly acidic
When is strawberry season
- Although strawberries are available all year long in the produce department of your grocery store, strawberry season is in the spring and summer
- Strawberries will be at their best during strawberry season
- You can also purchase frozen strawberries all year long
Health benefits of strawberries
Strawberries are considered to be good for you because they:
- are rich in vitamin C
- contain antioxidants and therefore help to reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, stroke and heart disease
- are a source of magnesium
- provide phosphorous
- are cholesterol free
- are low-fat
- are sodium free
- are gluten free
- are low in saturated fat
- are good source of fiber
- contain potassium
How to remove strawberry seeds
Even though strawberry seeds are very tiny, sometimes you just don’t want them in your finished recipe.
There are several ways to remove strawberry seeds such as:
- If you are blending the strawberries, puree them in a blender and then put the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
- You can scrape the seeds off of the outside of the strawberries. To easily do this, freeze the strawberries first and then scrape the seeds off with a sharp knife.
- You can also rub the seeds off. Wash and dry the berries, then using your hands or a paper towel, rub the seeds to remove them.
Easy strawberry recipes
- Strawberry Jam without Pectin
- Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Strawberry Basil Chicken
- Strawberry Quinoa
- Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
- Strawberry Salad
- Breakfast Parfaits With Fresh Fruit
- Summer Fruit Salad
Strawberry Drink Recipes
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Agua Fresca
- Strawberry Sweet Tea
- Lemonade Punch With Fresh Berries
- Almond Milk Strawberry Smoothie
Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Watermelon Pizza With Fresh Fruit
- Mini Fruit Tarts
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- Strawberry Fudge
- Strawberry Cookies
All in all, strawberries are nutritious, delicious and versatile fruits that can be enjoyed in many ways.
By following these simple tips provided on how to store, select, and clean your strawberries, they will taste their very best every time.
So go ahead, and indulge in this sweet and juicy treat!