Our Sweet Potato Soup Recipe is an easy homemade soup that will warm you up on a chilly day. Curry and fresh ginger flavor this recipe for sweet potato soup with chickpeas and fresh mint, cilantro and zesty lime give an added depth of vibrant flavor!
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
When the chilly weather is here to stay and the wind is blowing outside, it is officially soup season in my kitchen. Care to join me? I’ll be having a bowl of our flavorful Sweet Potato Soup Recipe today!
My sweet potato soup with curry with warm your body and your soul. Trust me when I say that every spoonful is a little taste of heaven.
Fresh ginger, garlic and curry powder combine with tender sweet potatoes, carrots and chickpeas for a vegetarian soup you will want to make over and over again.
Top it off with fresh mint, cilantro and a squeeze of zesty lime and I’m talking heaven, pure heaven folks!
Plant-based eating has become a trendy and healthy way of eating and our vegan soup will fit right into your plant-based lifestyle.
Not only will you be eating healthier, you’ll be eating more delicious too! Sounds like this recipe for sweet potato soup with ginger is a win-win in my kitchen, and yours too, agree?
If you love this homemade soup then you’ll definitely want to check out all of our easy homemade soup recipes here at Swirls.
And if you're looking for another slow cooker soup, it's time to make our broccoli cheese soup!
Plant Based Diet FAQ’s
What is a plant -based diet?
Following a plant-based diet means eating foods that are mostly, sometimes completely, derived from plants. Typically very few or no animal products are eaten when you are eating plant-based.
What foods can you eat on a plant-based diet?
Foods you can eat on a plant-based diet can include:
- legumes such as beans, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts and peas
- plant-based oils
- vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, squash, tomatoes and zucchini
- whole grains such as barley, brown rice, oats and quinoa
What are the benefits of following a plant-based diet?
The benefits of following a plant-based diet include:
- Preventing and sometimes even reversing diseases such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- Easy to lose weight when on a plant-based diet
- Helping to put less stress on the environment and create a better environmental footprint for our planet
You can learn more about the benefits of following a plant based diet on the Harvard Medical School’s website.
Soups With Beans
Love soups with beans? Then you’ll want to check out these Swirls recipes too!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- You can make this soup with butternut squash in place of the sweet potatoes
- Cannellini beans can be substituted for the chickpeas
- Parsley will also make a delicious topping
Ingredients for sweet potato soup
- olive oil - to saute the vegetables
- red onion – adds a savory note
- carrots – adds a mild sweet flavor
- fresh ginger – peppery, sweet and fragrant
- garlic – gives fabulous flavor
- curry powder - an Indian spice blend that adds a warm fragrant flavor to recipes
- kosher salt - makes the flavors pop
- sweet potatoes - a starchy, sweet-tasting root vegetable
- canned chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans
- vegetable broth - made from vegetables so this recipe is plant based
- fresh mint – an aromatic herb
- cilantro - bright herb flavor
- lime – adds fresh citrus notes
Easy Homemade Soup Recipes
Homemade soup is so easy to make and you get to control the ingredients. No preservatives, No high sodium content. Just good wholesome ingredients that cook up into soup in under an hour or in your low cooker while you go about your day. How can you resist?
Our creamy Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup is brimming with fresh veggies and two cheeses. Broccoli, carrots and onions simmer in your crockpot with vegetable broth topped with cheddar and cream cheese making a tender mixture that you whirl up into a smooth and creamy soup. An easy broccoli and cheddar soup recipe that will quickly become a comfort food favorite.
The classic Creamy Tomato Soup With Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese Croutons simmers on your stovetop and will warm you up on a chilly fall day topped with grilled cheese croutons of crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and potato bread.
Thailand has arrived in your kitchen when you make Thai Ginger Vegetable Noodle Soup! Our vegetarian Thai noodle soup is filled with fresh veggies, seasoned with fresh ginger, cilantro and lime, and finished with rice noodles for a Thai flavor experience! Homemade soup never tasted so good!
Enjoy the many health benefits of our Slow Cooker Bone Broth with this easy recipe that cooks itself in your slow cooker. Bursting with flavor and nutrients, our crockpot bone broth recipe is delicious to sip on and also as a base for stews, soups and other recipes.
Pesto Minestrone is an easy homemade soup recipe that is ready in just minutes. This hearty minestrone with pesto and baby kale is an updated version of the classic Italian soup and is sure to be a new family favorite! Cannellini beans, baby kale mix and a swirl of pesto give our Pesto Minestrone Soup a new twist on a classic favorite!
Ready in a matter of minutes, Instant Pot Curried Cauliflower Soup is amazingly rich and silky, packed with fresh veggies and great flavor. You won’t believe that there’s no cream or cheese in it!
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes peeled and diced, about 2 ½ cups
- 1 can 15 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh mint leaves
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Heat oil in saucepot over medium-high heat.
Add red onion, carrots, ginger, garlic, curry powder and kosher salt and cook until tender crisp, about 4 minutes.
Stir in sweet potatoes and chickpeas and cook until potatoes begin to soften, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove 4 cups of soup, including vegetable pieces and puree, in a blender or using an immersion blender, until smooth. Return to pot and stir until combined.
Serve with fresh mint, cilantro and lime wedges.
Makes 6 ½ cups; 4 servings.