Pesto Minestrone is my updated version of the beloved classic Italian soup. Cannellini beans (white kidney beans), baby kale mix and a swirl of pesto give this Pesto Minestrone a new twist! The combination of baby kale, Swiss chard and baby spinach, along with the creaminess of cannellini beans and the fresh basil flavor of pesto, all lend themselves to making this soup fabulously delicious and right on trend! Make it with vegetable broth and it’s perfect for Meatless Monday! Serve with warm crusty bread and a salad and you’ll be in heaven for sure!
1 Tbs. oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped, 2 cups
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
1 rib celery, chopped, 1/2 cup
1 tsp. dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash, chopped, 2 cups
1 cup green beans, 4 ounces
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with basil & oregano
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked mini bowtie pasta
2 cups packed baby kale mix, about 2 ounces
1 Tbs. store bought pesto
shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in saucepot over medium-high heat. Cook carrots, onion, celery, basil, garlic and kosher salt until just tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add zucchini and green beans. Cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Add broth and diced tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in cannellini beans and pasta. Cook 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
4. Stir in baby kale mix and pesto. Cook 1 minute until kale is just wilted and heated through.
5. Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Makes 9 cups.