It’s April 12th, National Grilled Cheese Day! Woo hoo! The best way to savor a grilled cheese sandwich is with a bowl of piping hot creamy tomato soup! Oh yes! Just add diced tomatoes and a touch of cream to canned tomato soup and you won’t believe how delicious it becomes. Make it even better by topping with the latest trend of grilled cheese croutons. I do wish I could claim credit for this amazing concept but instead I can only take credit for making the best of this new phenomenon of grilled cheese croutons by combining crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and potato bread. Happy Grilled Cheese (& Bacon) Day!
Creamy Tomato Soup with Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croutons
2 slices potato bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 oz. each slice
2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and drained
1 Tbs. butter
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed tomato soup
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
chopped parsley, optional
1. Top one slice potato bread with one slice cheese, cooked bacon, remaining slice cheese and remaining slice potato bread.
2. Melt butter in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwich until cheese is melted and sandwich is golden, turning once and pressing gently so cheese melts into bacon, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Transfer to cutting board. Cut into 12 “croutons”.
4. Meanwhile, in medium saucepot combine tomato soup, diced tomatoes with their juices and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in heavy cream. Simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Top with croutons. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Makes 4 cups soup.