The seasons are a changing and there’s a cold front moving in. It’s time for homemade soup! Chicken Lentil Soup is so easy to make you can even whip it up quickly after work. Serve it with a salad and some crusty bread and you’ll be all set! It doesn’t get much easier than that! Not a fan of lentils? Make it with mini pasta, egg noodles or even rice in place of the lentils! Time to warm up with a bowl of homemade Chicken Lentil Soup!
Love the comfort of a piping hot bowl of soup? Be sure to try White Bean & Escarole Soup, Roasted Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup, Hearty Potato Kale Soup and one that will surely be a kid favorite, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup!
Chicken Lentil Soup is an easy weeknight recipe made with chicken thighs and vegetables that will warm you up! Not a fan of lentils? Just substitute mini pasta, egg noodles or rice! Add a salad and you're all set!
- 2 skinless bone-in chicken thighs (12 ounces)
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped, 1 cup
- 1 onion chopped, 1 cup
- 1 celery stalk chopped, 1/2 cup
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Season chicken on both sides with basil, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in saucepot over medium-high heat then brown chicken on both sides.
- Stir in carrots, onion and celery and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in lentils and cook until lentils are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove chicken pieces. Shred chicken and discard bones.
- Stir in shredded chicken and dill.
Makes 6 cups.