Chicken Lentil Soup is an easy recipe for a weeknight dinner. Our chicken and lentil soup recipe is made with chicken thighs and filled with fresh vegetables and lentils. Your family will love this updated version of the classic comfort food, homemade chicken soup!
Homemade Chicken Lentil Soup
The seasons are a changing and there's a cold front moving in. It's time for homemade soup! Our lentil chicken soup is so easy to make you can even whip it up quickly after work.
Lentil Chicken Soup, made with chicken thighs, fresh vegetables and lentils is an updated version of the classic homemade chicken soup!
Making chicken soup with chicken thighs adds a deep rich depth of flavor to your soup.
Serve bowlfuls of chicken soup with lentils with a salad and some crusty bread and you'll be all set! It doesn't get much easier than that!
Not a fan of lentils? Make it with mini pasta, egg noodles or even rice in place of the lentils!
Time to warm up with a bowl of Chicken Lentil Soup, guaranteed to be your new favorite homemade chicken soup from scratch!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Need a break from cooking every now and then? Explore the Best-Selling Meal Plans! Check out the freshly prepared, restaurant quality gourmet meals from Home Bistro that will be delivered right to your very own home. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself because you deserve it!
And you'll definitely want to check out the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for lots of kitchen recommendations!
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts in place of the chicken thighs
- Add cauliflower florettes
- Substitute dried marjoram (my favorite!) for the dried basil
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- chicken broth
- red lentils
- fresh dill
How to make chicken lentil soup
- Season your chicken thighs then brown on both sides in heated oil in saucepot; reserve
- Cook carrots, onion and celery until tender-crisp
- Return chicken pieces and add chicken broth to saucepot and bring to a boil
- Stir in your lentils and cook until lentils are tender and chicken is cooked through
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken thighs, shred the chicken meat, discrding bones, and return to saucepot along with fresh dill
Chicken Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Avocado Lime Chicken Soup
- Chicken Orzo Soup
- Hearty Chipotle Chicken Soup from Bowl Me Over
- Spicy Asian Chicken Soup from Grumpy's Honeybunch
Homemade Soup Recipes
With a chill in the air, you'll be thankful for a pot of simmering homemade soup on the stovetop. Give these chicken soup recipes from scratch a try, you'll be happy you did!
The fresh clean flavors of garlic, fresh ginger and lime and the buttery creaminess of chunks of avocados come together to create Avocado Lime Chicken Soup, a new comfort soup favorite!
Chicken Tortilla Soup may have a long list of ingredients with some fresh vegetables but most are canned and already in your pantry, making it a quick and easy dump-dump recipe on a busy weeknight. Just saute an onion and red bell pepper with some seasonings, add the remaining (mostly) canned ingredients, garnish with the fried tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro!
White Bean and Escarole Soup is a versatile recipe that can be either vegetarian, when prepared as is, or can be turned into a hearty chicken soup when replacing vegetable broth with chicken broth and adding shredded rotisserie chicken!
Chicken Lentil Soup
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Season chicken on both sides with basil, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in saucepot over medium-high heat then brown chicken on both sides and reserve.
- Add carrots, onion and celery and cook until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Return chicken pieces and add broth to saucepot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in lentils and cook until lentils are tender and chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken and fresh dill.
First Published: October 6, 2015... Last Updated: October 13, 2020