Brimming with lemon flavor and a hint of fresh ginger, our Chicken Orzo Soup is easy to make and will be on your table in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Orzo Soup
There’s nothing quite like a bowl of chicken soup to warm the soul. Add in the bright flavor of lemon, notes of fresh ginger and tender orzo pasta, and every spoonful will be a taste of heaven. Our homemade chicken and orzo soup recipe is a bowl full of comfort food.
And it’s so easy to make our lemon orzo soup on your stovetop. Just saute the vegetables and seasonings until they just begin to soften.
Then add in the broth and once it comes to a boil, stir in uncooked orzo pasta and shredded cooked chicken. Now let that cook until the pasta is al dente.
The finishing touches are bright notes of lemon juice and fresh parsley.
Homemade soup is one of the easiest things to make from scratch and really doesn’t take much time at all. Here at Swirls we have lots of homemade soup recipes for you to try!
This orzo soup is definitely one of my favorites with it’s vibrant citrus flavor and tender pasta. Enjoy!
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Stir in cooked white rice in place of the orzo
- No fresh ginger, you can just leave it out and this soup will still taste delicious!
- Substitute dried oregano or dried marjoram for the Italian seasoning
- Stir in baby spinach
- Make this soup vegetarian, omit the shredded chicken and make with vegetable broth
How to make chicken orzo soup
- Cook vegetables and seasonings in oil until just tender.
- Add broth and bring mixture to a boil
- Add shredded chicken and uncooked orzo
- Cook until orzo is al dente
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley
Orzo Soup FAQ’s
What is orzo soup made of?
A typical orzo soup is made of chicken, orzo, onions, celery, carrots and broth. You can also add in garlic and seasonings.
Is orzo a pasta or rice?
Orzo is a short cut pasta that is shaped like a large grain of rice. It is traditionally made from white flour but can also be made with whole grain.
Can you freeze orzo soup?
Yes, you can freeze orzo soup although the texture of the orzo may change slightly.
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- Olive oil – to saute the vegetables in
- Onion – for savory notes
- Carrots – for sweet notes
- Celery – gives a depth of flavor
- Fresh ginger – a hint of pepper and sweetness
- Garlic – lends a bit of savory
- Dried Italian seasoning – for a Mediterranean touch
- Chicken broth – the base of the soup
- Cooked chicken – provides protein
- Orzo – tender pasta gives lots of body to the soup
- Lemon juice – adds a bright citrus flavor
- Parsley – fresh herb notes
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Heat oil in saucepot over medium-high heat.
Cook onion, carrots, celery, ginger, garlic and Italian seasoning until vegetables are tender crisp, 5-7 minutes.
Add broth and bring to a boil.
Stir in chicken and uncooked pasta and cook, uncovered, until pasta is al dente, about 9 minutes.
Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
Makes 6 cups/4 servings
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Replace the italian seasoning with dried oregano or dried marjoram
- Stir in your favorite baby greens