An easy recipe, Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious homemade soup with the Mexican flavors of green chiles, cumin and chili powder. Our easy tortilla soup comes together quickly and you can keep the ingredients on-hand in your pantry and fridge.
Easy Tortilla Soup
There’s no denying that this time of year gets quite hectic with all the holiday shopping, prepping and baking we need to get done. That’s when I make my go-to Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Yes, it does look like a long list of ingredients but most are canned making this a true chicken tortilla dump soup recipe! Trust me when I tell you that it comes together so easily and you can always have the ingredients on-hand in your pantry and fridge.
Just sauté an onion and red bell pepper with some seasonings, add the remaining (mostly) canned ingredients, garnish with the fried tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro.
Serve with cornbread and a tossed salad and there you have it! A nutritious and delicious dinner in a flash! And if you’re lucky enough to have some of my friend Chris’ fabulously delicious homemade salsa in your fridge to stir in like I did and that will be an added bonus!
What can I substitute for the tortilla strips?
If you don’t have flour tortillas to make the garnish for your soup, don’t worry. Feel fee to substitute the following in place of the tortilla strips:
- corn chips
- pita chips
- potato chips
- tortilla chips
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- olive oil
- flour tortillas
- red bell pepper
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- kosher salt
- chicken broth
- black beans
- diced tomatoes, preferably with zesty jalapenos
- corn kernels
- diced green chilies
- cooked chicken
- sour cream
what to serve with chicken tortilla soup
Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread is as quick and easy to make as it is beautiful and yummy! Start with a corn muffin mix with a few stir-ins, top with jalapenos, scallions and cheese, pop in the oven and in minutes you’ll be ready to serve up a mighty fine cornbread.
Chili Lime Black Bean Corn Farro Salad will be the perfect addition to your alfresco table this summer! A chili lime vinaigrette with zesty lime and the slightest hint of chili powder heat flavors this farro salad with fresh corn and black beans.
Mexicali Chopped Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette is bursting with fresh vegetables and lightly coated in a delightful homemade tangy vinaigrette. Our south of the border salad can be a side dish or become a meal when topped with cooked chicken, shrimp or beef!
Chili Lime Vinaigrette will have your taste buds dancing. The fresh tangy flavor of lime combines with a hint of chili spice in your soon-to-be favorite homemade vinaigrette!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbs. olive oil , divided
- 2 taco size (6-inch) flour tortillas , cut in 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 onion , chopped, 1 cup
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped, 1 cup
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes , preferably with zesty jalapenos
- 1 can (8.5 ounces) corn kernels , drained
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Saute tortilla strips until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in same saucepot. Cook onion, red bell pepper, chili powder, cumin and kosher salt until just tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, salsa, black beans, diced tomatoes with their juices, corn and green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring in chicken during last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Top with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro.