When juicy plum tomatoes are abundant, it’s time to make our Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce! Chopped tomatoes combine with garlic, onion, olive oil and seasonings for a fresh and vibrant tasting plum tomato sauce.
Recipe for roasted tomato sauce
Right about now there are plum tomatoes just about everywhere! They’re at the farmers market, in your backyard vegetable garden, at the farm stand, in the produce aisle. Literally everywhere!
There’s definitely a bumper crop of juicy plum tomatoes this time of year, and that’s a good thing for sure!
Our easy to make roasted tomato sauce is a fabulously delicious way to enjoy all of those ripe fresh tomatoes.
Onion, garlic, broth or wine (your choice), fresh and dried basil all combine with plum tomatoes for a roasted tomato sauce that tastes like summer with every bite.
Forty five minutes is all it takes when you roast your sauce in the oven at a high temperature. Toss hot pasta with your roasted plum tomatoes and a restaurant style dinner will be on the table in no time.
Not only will you be dining on a dinner bursting with the flavors of summer, check out these health benefits from tomatoes that will be an added bonus.
Are tomatoes good for you?
Yes, tomatoes are absolutely good for you! Tomatoes:
- can lower blood pressure
- have anti-cancer benefits
- have antioxidant properties
- help lower your total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides
- promote bone health
- promote bone health
- reduce your risk of heart problems
- are a good source of manganese
- contain beto-carotene
- contain excellent amounts of vitamin C
- contain potassium
- provide vitamin E
Now doesn’t this make you happy that there’s a bumper crop of tomatoes out there for you to enjoy?
What to do with fresh tomatoes?
There are many ways to serve tomatoes, such as:
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Baked Tomatoes
- Tomato Salad
- Bruschetta Topping
- Tomato Toast
- As a topping on a burger
- In a Pasta Salad
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Save prep time and use refrigerated chopped garlic
- Stir in fresh oregano
- Top pasta and sauce with a dollop of fresh ricotta
- Top pasta and sauce with burrata
- Use chopped vine-ripened tomatoes
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- orange and/or yellow plum tomatoes
- olive oil
- white wine or chicken broth
- dried basil
- kosher salt
- your favorite pasta, cooked and drained
- fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Need a break from cooking every now and then? Explore the Best-Selling Meal Plans! Check out the freshly prepared, restaurant quality gourmet meals from Home Bistro that will be delivered right to your very own home. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself because you deserve it!
- 3 lbs. orange and/or yellow plum tomatoes , chopped, 7 cups
- 2 onions , chopped, 2 cups
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 Tbs. chopped garlic , about 6 large cloves
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 8 ounces of your favorite pasta , cooked and drained
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425F.
Combine tomatoes, onions, olive oil, wine, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, tossing until evenly coated. Arrange on baking sheet with low sides.
Roast 45 minutes, stirring once.
While tomatoes are roasting, cook your pasta according to directions and drain.
Remove tomatoes from oven and stir in fresh basil. Toss with hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan.
Makes 4 cups sauce.
Makes 8 cups tossed with pasta/4 servings.