Everyone needs a Cobb Salad Recipe in their menu lineup. Brimming with all the traditional ingredients, our chicken cobb salad is flavored with a homemade Dijon red wine vinaigrette with chives, a perfect main dish salad.
Chicken Cobb Salad Recipe
Are you as happy as I am that warm summer days have finally arrived and the sun is shining bright? These are the times that my go-to dinner is a salad. Not just any salad but one that is a full meal.
I’m talking chicken, bacon, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, blue cheese on a bed of lettuce. Now add an easy to make vinaigrette and I’m a happy camper folks.
This cobb salad recipe is a lighter summer version of the popular Chick-fil-a cobb salad. I’ve lightened up their salad by using chicken that’s grilled or sauteed, not breaded, and drizzled this summer salad with a light red wine vinaigrette.
Sliced avocado adds a smooth and buttery texture to this salad and blue cheese adds salty, tangy flavor with a creamy texture.
You can also lighten up this recipe even more by using turkey bacon in place of the bacon. But don’t leave the bacon out because we all know that everything is better with bacon!
You can easily make this a vegetarian cobb salad too! Just replace the chicken with tofu and leave out the bacon.
So now if you’ll excuse me while I dine al fresco with my chicken cobb salad recipe and perhaps a glass of rose wine, because, why not? Summer is here and I’m so happy.
For more main dish salads, be sure to check out our Apple Cheddar Chicken Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette. and vegetarian Mexicali Chopped Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette.
If you love this main dish Cobb salad then you need to also check out the other main dish salad recipes here on Swirls.
What is a Cobb salad?
- The Cobb Salad is an American main dish garden salad
- A classic Cobb Salad is a composed salad with ingredients arranged on top of a bed of lettuce, and not tossed
- Cobb Salad ingredients include crispy bacon, hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken, avocado, blue cheese and lettuce
- A red wine vinaigrette is the usual salad dressing served with a Cobb Salad
- It is typically made with chopped salad greens which can include romaine, iceberg, watercress, endive and Boston lettuces
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Use left over chicken
- Assemble the salad ingredients and make the salad dressing ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle with salad dressing or serve the dressing on the side.
- Short on time? Serve with your favorite bottled salad dressing
- Make a cobb salad wrap and serve the salad ingredients wrapped in a tortilla
Personalize your Cobb salad and substitute or add any of the following ingredients:
- Canned chicken
- Cojita cheese
- Feta cheese
- Goat cheese
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Red onion
- Turkey bacon
- Your favorite vinaigrette
- Your favorite greens, such as kale or spinach
With salad dressing so easy to make you’ll want to check out my Ultimate Guide To Making Homemade Salad Dressings! Making a Homemade Salad Dressing is so easy and takes just minutes. Made with simple real food ingredients, your salad dressing from scratch is not just better than store bought, it’s better for you and oh so delicious too!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Need a break from cooking every now and then? Explore the Best-Selling Meal Plans! Check out the freshly prepared, restaurant quality gourmet meals from Home Bistro that will be delivered right to your very own home. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself because you deserve it!
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
How to make a chick-fil-a cobb salad
If a chick-fil-a cobb salad is what you’re craving, you can easily turn this cobb salad recipe into the popular chick-fil-a salad with just a few changes:
- Add corn kernels, shredded carrots and red cabbage
- Replace the blue cheese with Monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses
- Replace the red wine vinaigrette with a Honey Mustard Salad Dressing or Avocado Lime Dressing
- Top your salad with breaded chicken
What to serve with cobb salad
- Homemade Croutons
- Homemade Bread Without Yeast
- Cloverleaf Rolls Recipe from Restless Chipotle
Cobb Salad Ingredients
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- chicken breasts
- grape tomatoes
- blue cheese
Easy Salad Recipes
Cucumber Tomato Cauliflower Rice Salad is a low carb side dish recipe that’s bursting with fresh citrus flavor. Farm stand vegetables combine with a tangy lime dressing for this easy vegetable side dish.
Peach Arugula Salad With Basil Mint Vinaigrette is an easy salad recipe bursting with the flavors of summer all in one bowl! Peppery arugula leaves combine with toasted almonds and sweet juicy peaches tossed in a fresh homemade Basil Mint Vinaigrette for a refreshing summer salad.
Heirloom Tomato & Cucumber Summer Salad is an easy summer side dish bursting with tomatoes and cucumbers lightly coated in a tangy red wine vinaigrette.
The BLT Sandwich, an all-American classic, is transformed into a Chopped BLT Salad With Creamy Dill Dressing. All the flavors of a BLT, bacon, lettuce and tomatoes in my homemade mayonnaise salad dressing, are in every bite of this refreshing and easy chopped salad recipe.
Cobb Salad Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. chopped chives
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 8 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts , sliced
- 8 slices bacon , cooked crisp and crumbled
- 4 hard boiled eggs , peeled and quartered
- 2 cups grape tomatoes , halved lengthwise
- 1 avocado , peeled and sliced
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, Dijon, chives, garlic, sugar, kosher salt and pepper until blended.
- Arrange lettuce on serving dish.
- Top with chicken, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, avocado and blue cheese.
- Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette and serve with remaining vinaigrette.
The salad looks so refreshing, and flavourful. Such a hearty dinner salad.
This salad sounds so fresh and tasty! I think this will be on the menu for my lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the share!