General Tso Cauliflower will replace your Chinese take out! A silky sauce seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes, for just a touch of heat, surrounds tender cauliflower for the perfect meatless meal. I guarantee that our easy cauliflower recipe with General Tso sauce will quickly become one of your favorites!
Cauliflower With General Tso Sauce
I haven’t gotten over my obsession with cauliflower yet. So bear with me because here comes another cauli recipe! But you must admit, cauliflower makes an awesome healthy substitute in recipes, right?
And today you must try this recipe for General Tso’s Cauliflower. You will thank me! I’m always ordering General Tso Chicken for takeout but now I’ll just be making it at home….with cauliflower! A Chinese cauliflower recipe you can make at home that’s even more delicious than take out!
A silky sauce seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes for just a touch of heat surrounds tender cauliflower. Add brown rice and a salad and Meatless Monday just got fabulously delicious!
And if you're anything like me and trying to eat healthier by eating more plant based foods, then this is the plant based recipe for you!
Our General Tso sauce recipe can be made without the cauliflower and served with chicken, shrimp, tofu or other veggies too!
What is General Tso sauce?
General Tso sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce that is used a lot in stir fry cooking.
What does General Tso sauce taste like?
General Tso sauce is a sweet and sour sauce that is slightly spicy.
What is General Tso’s chicken?
General Tso’s chicken is a deep fried chicken recipe with a slightly spicy sweet and sour sauce and can be found on most Chinese menus.
How to make General Tso Cauliflower
- Cover and cook cauliflower and 1/4 cup water in non-stick skillet over medium heat until cauliflower is tender crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, Hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add cornstarch, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved and mixture is blended.
- Stir sauce into cauliflower in skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender ad sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and scallion.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Microwave your cauliflower instead of cooking it on the stove top
- Use low sodium soy sauce
- Serve with cooked brown rice
- Serve with rice noodles
- Serve with a tossed salad and our Chili Lime Vinaigrette
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- Hoisin sauce
- fresh ginger
- red pepper flakes
- cilantro leaves
Have you tried these other cauliflower recipes yet? From tacos to mac and cheese to cauliflower rice and cauliflower steaks, you won't want to miss all of this deliciousness!
Oven Roasted Cauliflower Tacos will be perfect choice for Taco Tuesday or even Meatless Monday. Cauliflower slow roasts to delicious goodness and then combines with mushrooms giving a meaty flavor to this meatless taco filling.
Spice things up a bit with our low calorie, low carb, gluten free, grain free, diabetic friendly, nutritious, easy to make Jalapeno Lime Cauliflower Rice ! Yes, it's all that and delicious too! Jalapeno Lime Cauliflower Rice is bursting with flavor starting with a little kick from fresh jalapeno that’s balanced with the freshness of chopped cilantro and lime juice!
The kids will love Cauliflower Mac N Cheese. Surrounded by a creamy cheddar sauce, every spoonful of cauliflower in Cauliflower Mac ‘N Cheese is bursting with cheesy goodness! Trust me, you won’t miss the pasta! Serve as a side dish or a main dish, the choice is yours.
Rosemary Balsamic Cauliflower Steaks is an easy vegetable recipe that’s perfect for both a plant-based lifestyle and meatless Monday. Balsamic cauliflower steaks are seasoned with rosemary, oven roasted until tender and topped with a sautéed tomato, garlic and onion mixture and finished off with balsamic vinegar. A meatless vegan recipe!
General Tso's Cauliflower
- Place cauliflower and 1/4 cup water in non-stick skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat until cauliflower is tender crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine remaining 1/3 cup water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, Hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in small bowl and stir until cornstarch is dissolved and mixture is blended.
- Uncover cauliflower and stir in sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, until sauce has thickened and cauliflower is tender.
- Top with cilantro leaves and scallion.
First Published: Martch 5, 2018... Last Updated: January 22, 2021