Since summer is grilling season, why not have a grilled salad? The leaves of lettuce are gently charred on the grill imparting an unexpected and fabulously delicious flavor. The Creamy Roasted Garlic Herb Dressing has the sweet flavor of caramelized garlic made stove top, no oven needed, combined with the fresh flavor of summer herbs. Toss these flavors all together and your salad will be unforgettable!
Grilled Romaine with Creamy Roasted Garlic Herb Dressing
6 large cloves garlic, skins on
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup packed fresh herbs, such as parsley, oregano, thyme and chives
2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
2 Tbs. milk
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 lb. head of romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cucumber, peeled in stripes, sliced, cut in half rounds, 1 cup
6 radishes, trimmed, cut in wedges, 1 cup
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Preheat grill for direct-heat grilling.
2. In small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat cook garlic, with skins on, until skins are lightly browned, turning occasionally, 7-10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove skins and discard.
3. In blender puree roasted garlic cloves, sour cream, fresh herbs, vinegar, milk, kosher salt and cracked black pepper until blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Brush romaine with oil. Grill until slightly charred, turning once, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove lettuce from grill; chop.
6. In serving bowl combine lettuce, cucumber, radishes and red onion. Drizzle with Creamy Roasted Garlic Herb Dressing.
Makes 6 cups.