Panzanella, the classic Tuscan bread salad, is bursting with heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, mozzarella and fresh basil, the flavors and colors of summer! Our Panzanella is an easy recipe for a mouthwatering bread salad that's a perfect side dish on a warm summer evening.
With today's Summer Solstice and warm summer weather in full swing, the timing is right for a big bowl of Panzanella bread salad! Pick up some heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and a bunch of fresh basil at the Farmers Market, or better yet, just pick them from your vegetable garden, and your Panzanella recipe is almost done!
What is Panzanella?
Brimming with the flavors and colors of the season, the classic Panzanella salad is a traditional Italian recipe from the Tuscany region and a great way to use up day old bread. Cubes of day old or toasted rustic bread soak up the olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing making for a mouthwatering bread salad perfect on a warm summer's evening. Add grilled chicken or shrimp and you've got a meal in a bowl!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Add your favorite vegetables, such as zucchini and fresh corn
- Recipe can be halved
- Short on time? Use a store bought salad dressing
- Use a french baguette
- Make with sourdough bread
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- rustic Italian bread
- heirloom grape tomatoes
- fresh basil
- red onion
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
What To Serve With Your Panzanella Salad?
What else should you include with your Panzanella bread salad while dining al fresco? You can top it with your favorite protein, chicken, steak or fish, and call it a meal, or serve it with one of these easy dinner recipes!
Are you in the mood for seafood? Then let me recommend Chipotle Honey Glazed Salmon With Pistachio Butter. Salmon fillets are seasoned with just the right amount of spice and glazed over with honey and a touch of orange. Hot off the grill they're topped with pistachio butter that melts down over the fillets.
I always love to fire up the grill and Grilled Tuscan Chicken & Kale Pesto topped with fresh mozzarella and homemade pesto, will be a tasty compliment to your summer bread salad.
Prefer beef, then you will love an Espresso Rubbed Grilled Steak seasoned with the flavors of espresso, brown sugar for a little balance and sweetness, ancho chile pepper for a bit of a kick and smoked paprika for a hint of smokiness.
If shellfish is what you're craving then be sure to add Garlic & Herb Shrimp , with it's light buttery sauce flavored with garlic and white wine and studded with oven roasted tomatoes, to the menu!
And you might want to make a tossed green salad too. Have you checked out my Ultimate Guide To Making Homemade Salad Dressings? Making a Homemade Salad Dressing is so easy and takes just minutes. Made with simple real food ingredients, your salad dressing from scratch is not just better than store bought, it’s better for you and oh so delicious too!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 12 ounce rustic Italian bread , cut in 1-inch pieces, 8 cups
- 1 pint heirloom grape tomatoes , halved lengthwise
- 1 cucumber , halved lengthwise, seeded and chopped, 2 cups
- 8 ounces bocconcini, halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Arrange bread in single layer on baking sheet and bake 20 minutes until toasted; cool.
- In large bowl combine toasted bread, tomatoes, cucumber, bocconcini, basil and red onion.
- In small bowl whisk olive oil, vinegar, Dijon, sugar, garlic, kosher salt and pepper until blended.
- Pour over bread mixture and toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Stir before serving.