Grilled Cheese Recipe
Woo hoo! It’s National Grilled Cheese Month and I couldn’t be happier! Don’t you just love a warm melty grilled cheese sandwich with crisp buttery bread? Then you’re going to love a Caprese Grilled Cheese, a classic sandwich with an updated flavor. It’s bursting with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, pesto, basil leaves, and, of course, butter! Butter makes everything better especially a Caprese Grilled Cheese. Have you ever wondered who created the grilled cheese? It all began in 1915 with a man named James L. Kraft when he invented processed cheese and getting a patent for it in 1916. Originally called “Toasted Cheese Sandwiches”, the grilled cheese sandwich gained popularity in the 1920’s during the depression when inexpensive sliced bread and Kraft’s American cheese became readily available. And yes, this James L. Kraft is the man behind the Kraft company that still exists today. You can read more about James and his grilled cheese sandwiches here. Not a fan of that high carb rustic Italian bread (even though it’s so delicious!)? No worries, we’ve got you covered. Check out this Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar made with cauliflower rice “bread”! And there’s nothing quite like the comfort food combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese. So next time why make yourself a bowl of homemade Creamy Tomato Soup With Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croutons?
- 4 slices rustic Italian bread
- 2 Tbs. prepared pesto
- 4 slices (4 ounces) fresh mozzarella
- 4 to mato slices
- 4 large basil leaves
- 2 Tbs. butter
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- Place two bread slices, butter side down on flat surface.
- Top with pesto, mozzarella, tomato slices, basil leaves and remaining slices of bread, butter side up.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat then cook sandwiches until bread is golden, cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through, turning once
Makes 2 sandwiches.