Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar
Cauliflower, the new “it” vegetable. It tastes good. It’s versatile. It’s healthy for you. It makes recipes healthier by using it in place of other not-so-good for you ingredients! Sounds like a win-win situation to me. So let’s start by opting out of the carbs in the beloved comfort food grilled cheese, shall we? Goodbye bread. Hello cauliflower bread! Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar begins with cauliflower rice. You can easily make your own cauliflower rice using a box grater or food processor. This will literally take you a minute or two. But even easier are the cauliflower rice packages available in your produce section or frozen cauliflower rice in the freezer section. I just love my grilled cheese sandwich especially on a cold wintery day. There’s something so comforting about a grilled cheese sandwich. It brings me back to my childhood days and makes me so happy.
Actually I just love cauliflower any which way and if you do too you need to give Oven Roasted Cauliflower Tacos (trust me, you won’t miss the meat!), Cauliflower Tots Italiano With Balsamic Dipping Sauce (so yummy!) and Loaded Baked Cauliflower Casserole each a try. A quick two step process, Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar will be on your table in no time. Cauliflower rice combines with egg and Parmesan cheese to make “bread” that bakes in the oven. Cauliflower “bread” brimming with cheddar cheese and sweet fig jam is cooked until the cheese is melty and the fig jam is warmed and then you will surely be in heaven. And did you know that fig is The Biggest Flavor of 2018 according to Cooking Light Magazine? So you’ll be right on trend with your Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar!
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese With Fig Jam & Cheddar starts with cauliflower bread and is brimming with melty cheddar cheese and warm sweet fig jam.
- 2 cups packed cauliflower rice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbs. fig jam
- 1 Tbs. butter
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cauliflower rice, egg, Parmesan, kosher salt and pepper until blended. Shape into 4 slices of "bread".
- Bake 25 minutes until golden. Cool slightly.
- Top flat side of one slice "cauliflower bread" with cheddar cheese, fig jam and another slice "cauliflower bread" flat side down. Repeat with remaining "cauliflower bread", cheddar and jam.
- In large non-stick skillet melt butter over medium heat. Cook sandwiches, turning once, until heated through.
Makes 2 sandwiches.