Brown Sugar Orange Cranberry Sauce is an easy recipe for homemade cranberry sauce. Simmer fresh cranberries with brown sugar for a depth of flavor and stir in orange zest for a hint of citrus. So easy you’ll wonder why you haven’t made a homemade cranberry sauce before!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
It’s so easy to make your own homemade cranberry sauce that you’ll never want to buy that canned stuff again! Just simmer fresh cranberries with a bit of water and brown sugar then stir in fresh orange zest for a bright citrus flavor. That’s it! Brown Sugar Orange Cranberry Sauce. Pure clean cranberry sauce that you made yourself in a matter of minutes with all natural ingredients. Homemade cranberry sauce doesn’t get much easier than this!
Fun Facts About Cranberries
Are you curious about that bag of fresh cranberries with the gorgeous ruby color? well then, Hhere are some interesting facts about that little cranberry from Ocean Spray:
- Legend has it that the Pilgrims served cranberries at the first Thanksgiving dinner in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- The cranberry is one of only three native fruits cultivated in North America. Others are the blueberry and the Concord grape.
- There are about 450 cranberries in a pound.
- A barrel of cranberries weighs 100 pounds.
- Cranberries bounce because they have small pockets of air inside of them. This air also makes them float in water so they are easy to harvest in water.
- Americans eat a total of about 400 pounds of cranberries each year. About twenty percent of the cranberries are eaten during the week of Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
Smashed Brussels Sprouts With Crispy Prosciutto will be your new go-to side dish recipe for special occasions! Smashed sprouts are roasted with two cheeses and then topped with crispy prosciutto for the ultimate side dish recipe!
You can take your salad to a new level with Pomegranate Apple Mixed Greens With Walnut-Crusted Goat Cheese! Greens are lightly tossed in a perfectly balanced Pomegranate Vinaigrette and topped with apple slices, pomegranate arils and fancy goat cheese rounds.
Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without potatoes! Panko Garlic Mashed Potatoes combine buttery creaminess with the perfect crunchy topping of panko breadcrumbs, parsley and butter!
But don’t forget the sweet potatoes! Pecan Crumb Sweet Potatoes are so decadent that every mouthful is filled with creamy sweet potatoes and buttery cinnamon crumbs…..the perfect combination of a side dish and a dessert!
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
Combine fresh cranberries, brown sugar and water in saucepot.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cranberries have popped and mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
Refrigerate until chilled.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.