Salsa Verde Chicken is as easy to make as it is delicious. This slow cooker recipe, with just four ingredients, cooks itself in your crock pot and is perfect served over rice. An easy dinner recipe, Salsa Verde Chicken will soon become your new go-to favorite comfort food dinner!
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
As the holidays come to an end, here in the northeast we are beginning to think about the impending cold weather of the winter months ahead…..and let me tell you, baby it’s cold outside already!
First Published: January 5, 2015… Last Updated: August 23, 2019
To me winter weather means comfort food that sticks to your ribs and warms your bones. Salsa Verde Chicken will soon become your new go-to favorite comfort food that’s as easy to make as it is delicious.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It only takes four ingredients, chicken thighs, taco seasoning and salsa verde, simmered in a slow cooker, then top with fresh cilantro! Serve over hot rice and salsa verde chicken and rice couldn’t be easier to make or taste more delicious!
- Don’t have chicken thighs? Feel free to use chicken breasts!
- Don’t have fresh cilantro? No worries, our chicken recipe will taste just as delicious without it!
- Don’t have an envelope of taco seasonng? Make our Homemade Taco Seasoning with just a few basic spices in your cabinet!
What is salsa verde?
Salsa verde, similar to the red tomato-based salsa that we all know and love, is made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes, giving it it’s green color. The tomatillo, also known as a husk tomato and native to Mexico and Central America, looks like a small green tomato covered in a husk. Tomatillos also provide Vitamin C, iron, calcium and magnesium.
I’m thinking it’s time to turn on the slow cooker and fill your home with “Swirls of Flavor” as Salsa Verde Chicken simmers for tonight’s easy dinner recipe!
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- taco seasoning mix
- salsa verde
- yellow or white rice, serving suggestion
Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Coconut Curry Thai Chicken’s light curry broth is the perfect blend of the Thai flavors and seasonings of coconut, curry, ginger, basil and lime and guaranteed to wake up your taste buds!
Serve Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken on slider rolls with cole slaw and crumbled blue cheese, or make it a trendy “bowl” and serve over hot cooked rice or quinoa topped with chopped celery, crumbled blue cheese and chopped cilantro, and spice up dinner or your next get together.
Your mouth will water every time when you taste Slow Cooker Pineapple Chili Chicken’s sweet and tangy sauce and you’ll definitely be coming back for seconds!
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken will transport you to a far away place with it’s sweet and tangy raisins and olives and combination of spices.
Salsa Verde Chicken is as easy to make as it is delicious with just four ingredients, simmered in a slow cooker, served over rice!
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs , cut in chunks
- 1 envelope (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa verde
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- hot cooked yellow or white rice, , serving suggestion
In bowl combine chicken and taco seasoning mix, tossing until evenly coated. Arrange in bottom of slow cooker.
Pour salsa verde over chicken. Cook 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
Stir and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Makes 5 cups + rice.
- Don't have chicken thighs? Feel free to use chicken breasts!
- Don't have fresh cilantro? No worries, our chicken recipe will taste just as delicious without it!
- Don't have an envelope of taco seasonng? Make our Homemade Taco Seasoning with just a few basic spices in your cabinet!