Perfect as a stick-to-your-ribs meal while watching the big game play-offs, a weeknight dinner or at a potluck! This Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken & Rice is so versatile you can serve it anytime for any occasion and everyone will love it! Did you know that Buffalo Chicken Wings originated at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, when Teressa Bellissino, owner of the bar with her husband Frank, needed a fast and easy snack to feed her son and his friends when they showed up unexpectedly one night? As the story goes, their son, Dominic, arrived late one evening with a group of hungry college friends in dire need of a snack. Quickly, Teressa came up with the idea to deep fry chicken wings that normally would either be saved to make stock or even thrown away! She then tossed them in hot sauce and the Buffalo Chicken Wing was born! I’ve taken the concept a step further and slow-cooked the healthier boneless skinless chicken breast along with hot sauce and rice to become a new comfort food meal! And who doesn’t love Buffalo Chicken?
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken & Rice
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped, 2 cups
2 ribs celery, chopped, 1 cup
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
6 Tbs. butter, melted
3/4 cup instant rice, such as Minute Rice
crumbled blue cheese, optional garnish
1. Arrange carrots, celery and onion in bottom of slow cooker. Top with chicken pieces.
2. Combine chicken broth, hot sauce and melted butter. Pour over chicken.
3. Cook 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
4. Turn off slow cooker and stir in rice. Cover and let stand until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir and serve with crumbled blue cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 cups.