If it’s summer it must be tomato season! And that means I’m putting tomatoes in another recipe! This time it’s Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta Quinoa. I’m mixing a bruschetta topping of heirloom tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil, olive oil and white balsamic vinegar and topping a bowl of the super grain quinoa. Actually you can top any super grain you prefer and the fabulous flavor of the bruschetta topping will infuse the grain and make your mouth water! So head on over to your local farmers market and pick up some fresh summer vegetables. You’ll be so happy summer and tomato season are here!
Love quinoa? Time to add Lemon Basil Avocado Quinoa with a light citrus dressing, fresh basil and the superfood avocado, is a light yet satisfying addition to any summer meal. From the juicy fresh strawberries and crunchy pistachios to the delicate quinoa, Strawberry Pistachio Quinoa is packed with nutrition and flavor. Mediterranean Quinoa Salad With Feta & Dill is brimming with artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, dill and creamy feta cheese, the fresh flavors of Greece. Filled with lentils and quinoa, carrots and kale, Quinoa Lentil Broth Bowl will be a perfect Meatless Monday dinner when you make it with vegetable broth and top it with an egg! And don’t forget to add quinoa to your breakfast! Grab N Go Quinoa Egg Muffins are an ideal way to stat your day packed with protein! Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil…..the true flavors of summer! Quinoa Caprese combines quinoa, the oh-so popular super food, and the flavors known as “Caprese” for your new favorite dish of the summer!
Summer Side Dish Recipes
How about adding a variety of delicious side dish recipes to your summer menu rotation? Fresh vegetables are tossed together with farro in a lime scented dressing making Zucchini & Corn Farro Salad both refreshing and nutritious. Zucchini Pasta Pomodoro is bursting with the summertime flavors of zucchini noodles, tomatoes and fresh basil. Strawberry Pistachio Quinoa lightly coated in a lemon oregano vinaigrette is a great way to use those fragrant strawberries of summer. The crunch of fresh fennel, the juiciness of mandarin oranges and the crispness of radishes all come together in a lime-kissed vinaigrette to make Fresh Fennel & Mandarin Salad an amazing combination of flavors and textures. Lemon Basil Avocado Quinoa is a light yet satisfying addition to any summer meal. Don’t you just love summer? Heirloom Tomato & Cucumber Summer Salad is an easy summer side dish bursting with tomatoes and cucumbers lightly coated in a tangy red wine vinaigrette.
Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta Quinoa is an easy summer recipe with a bruschetta topping of heirloom tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil, olive oil and white balsamic vinegar and over a bowl of the super grain quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa*
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, preferably extra virgin, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- In medium saucepot bring 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water has been absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using a fork, fluff up quinoa. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and cool to room temperature.
- In serving dish combine quinoa, shredded Parmesan, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.
- In another bowl combine tomatoes, red onion, basil, garlic, white balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/8 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper. Arrange tomato mixture over quinoa. Toss just before serving.
Makes 5 cups.
*Prefer another grain? Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta will taste just as fabulous over farro, bulgur, brown rice, barley.....the list is endless! Just go with your favorite grain, prepare it according to package directions and then follow the recipe above beginning with Step 3!