Grilled eggplant combines with fresh mozzarella, peppery arugula and basil leaves. Drizzled with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, our Caprese Eggplant Sandwich is bursting with summer flavors.
Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Let me begin by explaining that here in Jersey we don't go to the beach. We go down the shore.
With that said, I recently went "down the shore" for the day with some of my foodie friends.
Now when you're hanging with foodies you don't just do PB&J and a peach for lunch! Heavens no!
We had an absolutely lovely day, with our toes in the sand, dining on hummus, salami secchi, cashews, almonds, a variety of fresh fruits and, of course, this amazing grilled eggplant sandwich!
These sandwiches just get better as they sit in the cooler and patiently wait for their grand entrance. The balsamic vinaigrette permeates into each lovely layer making every bite a party in your mouth!
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Don’t have a grill? Just sauté the eggplant in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until tender, turning once
- Wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and store in your cooler for tailgating, a picnic or a day down the shore Sandwiches can be served immediately too
- Serve on your favorite rolls
- No time to make a homemade vinaigrette? Just use your favorite bottled balsamic vinaigrette
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves
- soft potato rolls
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 1/4 cup olive oil. Grill until tender turning once; set aside.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, kosher salt, garlic powder and sugar, until blended; reserve 1 Tbs. vinaigrette.
Assemble sandwiches by brushing flat sides of rolls with some of the vinaigrette and then layering eggplant, tomato, mozzarella, basil leaves and eggplant on bottom half of roll, brushing EVERY layer with some of the vinaigrette.
Toss arugula with reserved 1 Tbs. vinaigrette and place on top of eggplant. Top with top half of roll.
- No grill? No worries! Just sauté the eggplant in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until tender, turning once.
- These sandwiches can be wrapped in plastic wrap for tailgating, a picnic or a day down the shore.
- They can also be served immediately.
- Any way you have them, they'll be fabulously delicious!