Here’s a quick, easy and fabulously delicious weeknight dinner you can cook up in no time at all! Add a salad and everyone will be satisfied! Meatballs are an all-time favorite in my Italian family but you don’t have to be Italian to love meatballs! And did you know that you don’t have to fry them or bake them before putting them in the sauce? Yep, that’s right! Just drop the meatballs in your simmering sauce and let them cook away for about 25 minutes. It’s as easy as that!
Basil Provolone Meatball Heroes
1 jar (24-26 oz.) marinara sauce
2 Tbs. Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil OR 1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 hoagie rolls
4 slices deli-sliced provolone cheese, halved
fresh basil leaves
1. In medium saucepot over medium-high heat combine marinara sauce, Balsamic and sugar. Cook until hot and bubbly.
2. Meanwhile, in bowl combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Shape into 8 meatballs.
3. Carefully stir uncooked meatballs into sauce. Be sure that the meatballs are completely covered with the sauce.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
5. If desired, toast hoagie rolls either in oven or under broiler until golden.
6. Cut each meatball in half. Arrange 4 meatball halves, flat sides down, and sauce, on each roll.
7. Top with Provolone cheese and fresh basil leaves. Serve any additional sauce on the side for dipping.
Makes 4 heroes.