Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding is an easy recipe that's bursting with fresh bananas, chocolate chunks and walnuts making this bread pudding the perfect brunch or dessert indulgence. Top with whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream and you'll be in heaven with every bite!
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
An easy to make casserole, our bread pudding recipe is bursting with cinnamon, nuts, bananas and chocolate chunks. It combines all the flavors of “Chunky Monkey” and is comfort food at it’s finest!
By combining those flavors of "Chunky Monkey" ice cream with a warm and comforting bread pudding you'll have the best of both worlds!
A delicious casserole that's easy to make, our chocolate chip bread pudding will make every mom happy on Mother's Day and be a fabulous addition to your morning brunch get together.
After all, who doesn't love bananas and chocolate, especially when they're in a warm baked casserole of egg twist rolls flavored with cinnamon and topped with wet walnuts? I mean, come on now! Drooling over here!
What is Chunky Monkey?
Chunky Monkey is a flavor of ice cream made by Ben & Jerry's consisting of banana ice cream with chocolate chunks and walnuts.
What is the origin of bread pudding?
According to food historians, bread pudding dates back to the 11th and 12th centuries when cooks looked for ways to use up stale bread instead of throwing it out. They added eggs, milk and seasonings to it and baked it turning it into a bread pudding.
In the 13th century in England, bread pudding was popular among the lower classes of people and became known as the "poor man's pudding".
Swirls of Flavor Recipe tips
- Make with your favorite chocolate chips
- Substitute challah bread for the egg rolls
- Add raisins or dried cranberries
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- egg twist rolls
- chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- wet walnuts
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Brunch, that special time of the day that combines breakfast and lunch is one of my favorite things! These brunch recipes will all be tasty additions to your menu.
Cinnamon Bun Bread Pudding starts with a brown sugar cinnamon butter layer topped with challah bread soaked in vanilla custard then finish it off with even more brown sugar mixture on top! The sweetened cream cheese that’s stuffed in the middle makes every bite taste like a cinnamon bun!
Glazed Blueberry Hand Pies are filled with fresh blueberries tossed with blueberry preserves, cinnamon and lemon and baked to perfection in a buttermilk biscuit dough and drizzled with a confectioners sugar glaze!
Smoked Mozzarella & Prosciutto Breakfast Pizzas are made with store bought pizza crusts topped with pesto, prosciutto, smoked mozzarella and tomatoes, then with an egg. and baked in the oven!
Every brunch menu needs a muffin. Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins With Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting are as delicious as they are indulgent! Studded with mini chocolate chips and flavored with sweet ripe bananas and Greek yogurt, our muffins are topped with Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting to make every bite a taste of heaven!
Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
- Preheat oven to 425F. Bake bread pieces until lightly toasted, 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Coat 1 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half of bread pieces on bottom of prepared baking dish. Slice 2 bananas 1/4" thick on diagonal; place over bread pieces in single layer. Top with 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and remaining bread pieces.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread cubes.
- Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chunks. Bake, uncovered, additional 15 minutes, or until mixture is set.
- Top with wet walnuts. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm.
First Published: March 27, 2013... Last Updated: April 22, 2020