I have an obsession. I will admit it. I am totally obsessed with my beloved cauliflower! How do I love my cauliflower? Let me count the ways. I love cauliflower for breakfast with eggs, tomatoes and chorizo, cauliflower for lunch in my soup, cauliflower as a side dish vegetable, cauliflower steaks as a Meatless Monday dinner, cauliflower florettes with my dips, cauliflower casserole, cauliflower rice, cauliflower veggie tots, a whole roasted cauliflower, cauliflower pizza crust. I love the versatility of this delicious, nutritious, trendy and oh so popular vegetable. It can be crunchy, creamy and milky sweet. Best of all, it is low in calories, high in fiber, low fat and contains omega-3, vitamin C, vitamin K and provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits!
And now Cauliflower Tots with cauliflower rice, bits of sundried tomatoes, flecks of fresh basil leaves and a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses combine with a warm balsamic dipping sauce. Well I think all of this explains why I am in an obsessive relationship with cauliflower! I don’t need any other food. Cauliflower, you complete me.
Cauliflower Tots With Balsamic Dipping Sauce
2 cups packed cauliflower rice or 1 (10 ounce) pkg. cauliflower rice
1 large egg
1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 Tbs. finely chopped onion
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup pizza sauce
1 Tbs. Balsamic vinegar
1. Cauliflower Tots: Place cauliflower rice in microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 2 minutes or until tender. Cool. Squeeze dry.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Combine cauliflower rice, egg, breadcrumbs, mozzarella, Parmesan, sundried tomatoes, onion, fresh basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Using wet hands, shape into 30 tots, about 1 Tablespoonful each.
4. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and generously spray tops of tots with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes to firm up before serving.
5. Dipping Sauce: Meanwhile, heat pizza sauce and balsamic vinegar. Serve warm dipping sauce with cauliflower tots.
Makes 30 tots.