I’m a push over when it comes to anything caprese. Fresh mozzarella, juicy tomatoes and fragrant basil…..it doesn’t get much better than that! Brings me right back to my visit to Italy a few years ago…..and makes me wish I was there again! Inspired by a caprese platter, I flavored Portobello mushrooms in a Balsamic marinade, grilled them and crowned them with fresh mozzarella, pesto and campari tomato slices. Topped with the finishing touch of fresh basil leaves, Balsamic Portobellos Caprese can be a vegetarian meal or side dish. I actually ate mine as a little snack! Talk about eating healthy, beautiful and fabulously delicious!
Do you love the fresh flavors of caprese as much as I do? then you’ll definitely want to try these recipes that also were inspired by caprese flavors. A side dish of Quinoa Caprese combines quinoa, the oh-so popular super food, and those flavors known as “Caprese” for your new favorite dish of the summer! A balsamic vinaigrette permeates into each lovely layer of this Eggplant Caprese Sandwich making every bite a party in your mouth! Baked Panko-Crusted Chicken Caprese, warm, perfectly seasoned, baked chicken is topped with the flavors of fresh mozzarella, garden fresh plum tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. Caprese Grilled Cheese is bursting with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, pesto, basil leaves, and of course, butter! A classic sandwich with a fabulous updated flavor! Grilled Pesto Caprese Naan Pizza made with Caprese, the beloved combination of mozzarella, tomato and basil with balsamic vinegar, becomes an easy Meatless Monday meal or fabulous appetizer! Heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fragrant basil leaves and cheese-filled pasta tossed in a classic balsamic dressing……tis the season for a Balsamic Pasta Salad Caprese! Well, that should hold you over with caprese recipes for awhile, agree?
Balsamic Portobellos Caprese in a balsamic marinade are grilled then topped with fresh mozzarella, pesto, campari tomato slices and fresh basil leaves. An easy grilling recipe that's perfect for Meatless Monday in the summer!
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Portobello caps, about 9 oz.
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella, 4 oz.
- 1/4 cup Kale Pesto Pesto Florentine OR store bought prepared pesto
- 8 slices Campari tomatoes, 2 tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- In small bowl combine Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, chopped basil and kosher salt until blended.
- Transfer mixture to ziplock plastic bag. Add Portobello caps. Seal and marinate 30-60 minutes, turning once. Remove portobellos from bag and discard marinade.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
- Grill portobellos until tender, turning once, 9-10 minutes per side.
- Arrange portobellos on serving platter. Top each with mozzarella slice, 1 Tbs. pesto, 2 tomato slices and fresh basil leaf.
Serving Suggesrion: Serve on a ciabatta roll for a fabulous Portobello "Burger"!