Strawberry season is in full swing now and here’s yet another to-die-for way to serve them up! From the fresh strawberries and pistachios to the trendy quinoa, this recipe is packed with nutrition. And it’s only fitting that you serve up this Strawberry Pistachio Quinoa since 2013 has been named “The International Year of the Quinoa” by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations*! Who knew? Now you do! With quinoa being touted as the new superfood containing heart healthy fats, anti-inflammatory properties, being cholesterol free and serving as a complete source of protein, it’s no wonder it’s popping up everywhere! And now it can pop up on your table too….along with fabulously delicious seasonal strawberries!
Strawberry Pistachio Quinoa with Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup shelled pistachios, 2 oz.
1/2 cup crumbled garlic & herb feta
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1. In medium saucepot bring 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add quinoa. Cook until water has been absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Stir to fluff up. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in serving dish combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, oregano, sugar, kosher salt and pepper until blended.
4. Stir in quinoa, strawberries, pistachios, feta and red onion until evenly coated.
5. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled. It’s delicious any way you serve it!
Makes 5 cups.
Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, was the ancient grain of the Incas.
Can provide valuable amounts of heart-healthy fats.
Is cholesterol free.
Serves as a complete protein source.
Has anti-inflammatory properties.
Provides twice the amount of calcium as found in whole wheat.
Is a member of the spinach, Swiss chard and beets family.
*Reference: The World’s Healthiest Foods