The dog days of summer have officially arrived and we are currently in the midst of a weeklong heat wave here in the northeast. I can’t think of a better way to cool off than with a frozen indulgence made with the season’s fresh bounty of peaches. My Spiced Rum Peach Lemonade Sorbet is just that! Sorbet, a healthy alternative to ice cream, is made of pureed fruits and sweeteners and actually pre-dates ice cream by about a thousand years dating back to the times of Nero, the Roman emperor! Guaranteed to cool you off as you savor every chilled spoonful!
Spiced Rum Peach Lemonade Sorbet
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
peel from 1 large lemon, 1/4 cup, outer yellow peel only, no white pith!
1 lb. fresh ripe peaches, pitted
1 can (11.5 oz.) peach nectar
1/2 cup spiced rum*
fresh mint leaves, optional garnish
1. In small saucepot over medium-high heat bring sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon peel to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until sugar is dissolved and mixture is clear. Remove from heat.
2. Let stand 1 hour until cooled. Strain, discarding lemon peel. Reserve.
3. In blender, puree peaches, with their skins on, and peach nectar until smooth and blended.
4. Add rum and reserved lemon simple syrup. Pulse until blended.
5. Transfer to freezer-proof container. Freeze, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
6. Scoop, garnish with fresh mint, if desired, & enjoy!
Makes about 6 cups.
*For a non-alcohol version replace 1/2 cup spiced rum with additional 1/2 cup peach nectar!