If you love French onion soup, then you will love our French Onion Burger! Seasoned burgers are topped with caramelized sweet onions and melted Asiago cheese. Served on a toasted and buttered English muffin, every bite will remind you of a bowl of onion soup.
French Onion Soup Burgers
This epic burger is part of a fan-frickin-tastic month-long event hosted by Kita over at Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
A bowl of onion soup is like a bowl of comfort to me. Typically, I would have soup when the weather is cold and chilly.
But with Memorial Day weekend right around the corner, #BurgerMonth in full swing and the warm weather finally here, I’ll be having my onion soup on the grill in the form of a ground beef burger! A French onion soup english muffin burger!
Sweet onions simmer gently in butter with a hint of thyme and garlic and onion season ground beef patties.
Burger Month is a month long event featuring burger recipes from food bloggers. Scroll down for links to all the fabulous participating bloggers and their hamburger recipes.
Now fire up that grill and cook those burgers. Top with caramelized onions and the Asiago cheese and heat until that cheese is warm and melted. There you go!
I like my onion soup burgers on toasted English muffins that I’ve slathered with melted butter. Add a bed of lettuce leaves and the finishing touch is a garnish of delicate fresh thyme leaves. Top with ketchup if you like.
Make these hamburgers into French onion soup appetizer bites! Shape into small patties and serve on slices of toasted baguette and serve as small bites. These tasty appetizers will be a fan favorite!
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Serve burgers on a toasted hamburger roll instead of an English muffin (check out the burger in the picture above!)
- Sautee sliced red onions and top your burger with even more onions!
- Add baby arugula greens
- Cook the caramelized onions ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use
- Shred a block of Asiago cheese on a box grater ahead of time too
- Toast your English muffins, top with butter and wrap in foil. Keep warm on the grill while your burgers are cooking
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- butter - butter softens and caramelizes the onions and adds sweet dairy notes
- sweet onions - mild onions with sweet notes
- dried thyme - adds an earthy flavor with hints of floral and is a little bit peppery
- beef broth - adds a depth of flavor
- ground beef
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- Asiago cheese or Gruyere cheese - cheeses most used when making French onion soup
- English muffins
- fresh thyme leaves
Easy Burger Recipes
With grilling season kicking off, you'll want to include more easy burger recipes in your menu line up. We've got a slider, a vegetarian black bean burger, turkey burgers and burgers with crispy prosciutto for you! You'll want to make them all!
Bruschetta Burgers With Crispy Prosciutto is an easy recipe that combines ground beef, sundried tomatoes and crispy prosciutto that takes burgers to a new level of delicious. Add a homemade bruschetta topping and Lemon Aioli and you have the most flavorful burgers of the season!
Black Bean Burgers With Cilantro Lime Sauce is an easy vegetarian burger recipe. Black bean patties are perfectly seasoned with chili powder and cumin and served with a creamy sauce bursting with the fresh flavors of cilantro and lime.
Jalapeno Cheddar Sliders will wow your taste buds with the flavors of pickled jalapenos, scallion, garlic and spices mixed right into the mini burgers. An easy recipe for ground beef burgers that's just in time for Labor Day weekend grilling!
Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce is an easy recipe for ground turkey burgers flavored with feta cheese, oregano and red pepper flakes. Our homemade turkey burgers are complimented with a cool cucumber, fresh dill and red onion homemade Tzatziki Sauce!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
French Onion Burger
- Melt butter in large non-stick skillet. Cook onions and thyme over medium-low heat until golden, about 45 minutes.
- Add beef broth and, using a wooden spoon, scrape any brown bits from bottom of the skillet.
- Cook 1 minute or until mixture is slightly saucy. Reserve.
- Preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
- Combine ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and cracked black pepper until blended.
- Shape into four burgers.
- Grill burgers to desired doneness, topping with cheese and onion during last 2 minutes of grilling time.
- Transfer to English muffins and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BurgerMonth Sponsors: Cabot, Anvil & Hammer, New York Beef Council, Red Duck Foods, and Spoonabilities for providing prizes for this epic event. All opinions are my own. The #BurgerMonth giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All winning entries are verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness.
The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. One winner for each weekly giveaway will be selected. The prize packages are sent directly from the sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen.
The #BurgerMonth Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #BurgerMonth posts or entry.
Be sure to check out these amazing bloggers and their burger creations!
🍔 Girl Carnivore 🍔 A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures 🍔A Day in the Life on the Farm 🍔 A Merry Recipe 🍔 An Affair from the Heart 🍔Art of Natural Living 🍔 Caroline's Cooking 🍔Chef Justin Grimm 🍔Chiles and Smoke 🍔 City Living Boston 🍔Comfortably Domestic 🍔Culinary Adventures with Camilla 🍔 Dixie Chik Cooks 🍔 Everyday Eileen 🍔 Everyday Southwest 🍔 For the Love of Food 🍔Good Cook Doris 🍔Grillax: Fire. Food. Fun. 🍔 Grilling Montana 🍔 Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks 🍔 Jolene's Recipe Journal 🍔 Karen's Kitchen Stories 🍔 Kate's Recipe Box 🍔Kudos Kitchen by Renee 🍔Life Currents 🍔 Life of a Ginger 🍔Making Miracles 🍔Man Meat BBQ 🍔 Miss in the KItchen 🍔Off the Eaten Path 🍔Our Good Life 🍔 Palatable Pastime 🍔 Pastry Chef Online 🍔 Real Life With Dad 🍔Renee Nicole's Kitchen - Everyday Gourmet 🍔 Sarah's Cucina Bella 🍔Savoring Midlife 🍔 Seduction in the Kitchen 🍔 Simple and Savory 🍔 Spoonabilities 🍔 Sumptuous Spoonfuls 🍔 Swirls of Flavor 🍔 The Redhead Baker 🍔 The Spiffy Cookie 🍔This is How I Cook 🍔 Thyme for Cocktails 🍔What's Cooking Italian Style Cuisine 🍔 Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen 🍔Wile E. BBQ 🍔 Wok & Skillet 🍔