Cheddar Jalapeno Burgers will wow your taste buds with the flavors of pickled jalapenos, scallion, garlic and spices mixed right into the mini burgers.
Pickled jalapenos add heat, fresh garlic and scallions add great flavor and chili powder and cumin add just the right amount of spice along with a sharp cheddar cheese to elevate our cheddar burgers a notch (or several notches) above the rest.
A Cilantro Lime Aioli balances the heat and the guacamole and salsa add the finishing touches to our quick easy slider recipe.
An easy recipe for ground beef burgers these mini cheeseburgers, also known as sliders, will be the hit of your grilling season!
I can’ think of a better way to celebrate Burger Month than with a new burger recipe that’s packed full of bold flavors. It’s time for a jalapeno burger recipe!
How to make jalapeno burgers
- Preheat your grill for direct heat grilling.
- In a bowl combine ground beef, chopped jalapenos, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and kosher salt. Shape the beef mixture into 12 mini patties.
- Grill 2 minutes over direct heat.
- Turn and top each patty with 2 quarter pieces of cheddar cheese, and then cook until the burgers are desired doneness.
- Top slider roll bottoms with lettuce, tomato slice, burger, sauce, guacamole, salsa, fresh jalapeno slices and slider roll tops.
How to make sliders into full size hamburgers
If you prefer a full size hamburger instead of sliders, just shape the ground beef mixture into four larger patties. Since your burgers will be larger than the sliders you will have to add additional time when grilling your full size burgers. And be sure to buy full size hamburger rolls instead of the slider buns in the recipe!
Why is a small hamburger called a slider?
A slider is a name given to a mini hamburger. The name slider came about in the 1940’s when US Navy sailors began calling mini burgers “sliders” since they typically were extremely greasy burgers. With just a bite or two a greasy mini hamburger would slide right down, hence the name slider!
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for the ground beef
- No grill? Just make your burgers in a skillet or in the oven
- Make with taco seasoning in place of the chili powder and cumin
- Hungry? Make full size burgers!
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- chopped cilantro
- lime zest
- lime juice
- ground beef
- jarred pickled jalapeno slices
- ground chili powder
- ground cumin
- kosher salt
- sharp cheddar cheese
- slider rolls
- green leaf lettuce leaves
- plum tomatoes
- salsa, serving suggestion
- guacamole, serving suggestion
- fresh jalapeno slices, serving suggestion
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Love grilling, smoking, and bbq? Then you’ll want to sign up for the Grill Masters Club and get a box of sauces, rubs, marinades, wood chips, new recipes, and grilling accessories delivered right to your door.
A great gift for Dad on Father’s Day or any day. Choose from 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or a 1 year subscription.
Cheddar Jalapeno Burgers will wow your taste buds with the flavors of pickled jalapenos, scallion, garlic and spices mixed right into the mini burgers. An easy recipe for ground beef burgers that's just in time for Burger Month, these mini cheeseburgers will be the hit of your grilling season!
- Cilantro Lime Aioli:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic , mnced
- 1 ¼ lbs. ground beef
- ¼ cup jarred pickled jalapeno slices, drained and finely chopped
- 2 large scallions, finely chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground chili powder
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into quarters
- 12 slider rolls, such as Kings Hawaiian
- 12 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 12 slices plum tomatoes, about 3 plum tomatoes
- Serving Suggestions:
- Fresh jalapeno slices
Combine mayonnaise, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and garlic. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
Combine ground beef, chopped jalapenos, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and kosher salt. Shape into 12 mini patties. See Recipe Notes below for making full size hamburgers.
Grill 2 minutes. Turn, top each patty with 2 quarter pieces of cheddar cheese, and cook until cheese is melted and burger is desired doneness.
Top slider roll bottoms with lettuce, tomato slice, slider, Cilantro Lime Aioli and slider roll tops.
Top sliders with guacamole, salsa and fresh jalapeno slices, if desired.
Swirls of flavor Recipe Tip
- To Make Full Size Hamburgers: If you prefer a full size hamburger instead of sliders:
- just shape the ground beef mixture into four large patties. Since your burgers will be larger than the sliders, you will have to add additional time when grilling your full size burgers.
- Grill 4 minutes, turn, top each burger with 1 slice cheddar cheese and cook until cheese is melted and burger is desired doneness.
- Oh, and be sure to buy full size hamburger rolls instead of slider buns!