Our Red White and Blue Cupcakes are an easy from scratch recipe for vanilla cupcakes. Topped with a homemade buttercream frosting, decorated with red white and blue stripes and topped with a cherry, they are a perfect Memorial Day dessert or fourth of July dessert!
Red White and Blue Cupcakes
Simple from-scratch vanilla cupcakes are topped with a creamy homemade frosting that is easily decorated with patriotic colors for Memorial Day cupcakes, July 4th cupcakes and even Labor Day cupcakes.
With just a few simple ingredients, that you're sure to have on hand in your kitchen, these Red White and Blue Cupcakes will be ready in no time.
Both the homemade cupcake batter and the homemade buttercream frosting are made with simple ingredients. You won’t believe how easy it is to make these cupcakes from scratch right in your own kitchen!
You can even make cute mini cupcakes with this recipe. For mini cupcakes line 48 mini muffin cups with cupcake liners. Prepare the batter and divide it evenly between mini liners. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
Another idea I have is to tint the vanilla cake batter and make a red white and blue cake. Just tint one third of the batter blue and one third of the batter red. For stripes, layer the red, white and blue cupcake batters in each cupcake tin and they will bake up into cupcakes with stripes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh! And why not stir red white and blue sprinkles into the cupcake batter for another festive touch!
I can't think of a better way to celebrate our country's birthday than with patriotic cupcakes with a cherry on top!
So go ahead and add those stripes of patriotic colors and put that finishing touch on top, a cherry, of course!
You can even add an American flag topper, sprinkles or cake sparkles too!
This 4th of July cake recipe is sure to be a favorite year after year!
A delicious dessert for your Memorial Day, July 4th and even Labor Day gatherings.
Festive, fun and delicious, these patriotic cupcakes will be the finishing touch on your dessert table.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
Having owned a cupcake shop, I have a few tips and tricks for making the best homemade cupcakes. And of course, I'd love to share them with you!
- When scooping cupcake batter for your 4th of July cupcakes into the liners, be sure to use a #20 ice cream scooper for perfect sized cupcakes every time!
- I used cake decorating brushes to paint the red and blue stripes in the pastry bag. Basic water color paintbrushes will work fine too!
- Disposable pastry bags make clean up easy every time but you can certainly opt for these reusable featherweight pastry bags too.
- I piped the buttercream frosting on our easy homemade vanilla cupcakes with a large Open Star Pastry Tip.
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract
- Substitute red gel food color for the blue gel food color and make red and white stripes with the frosting
- Substitute blue gel food color for the red gel food color and make blue and white stripes with the frosting
Red white and blue desserts
- Red White and Blue Trifle
- Red White and Blue Sugar Cookies
- Wave Your Flag Cheesecake from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Berry Delicious Cheesecake Fluff From Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Ingredients for 4th of July cupcakes
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- red gel food color
- blue gel food color
- marachino cherries
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
4th of July Desserts
No-Bake Sweet Berry Tartlets….the perfect ending to your holiday celebration! A simple-to-make strawberry filling kissed with a hint of citrus and crowned with fresh blueberries will surely look festive and patriotic on your table.
Red White & Blueberry Trifle is an easy no-bake dessert made of pudding, whipped topping, store bought angel food cake and lots of fresh berries!
Jalapeno Lime Summer Fruit Salad , an easy fruit salad recipe that’s bursting with sweet juicy berries and watermelon, fresh mint, zesty lime and a hint of jalapeno heat, is a refreshing addition to your summer menu!
Watermelon Pizza is a no-bake easy dessert that’s bursting with fresh summer fruits, mint and lime Greek yogurt! Our watermelon dessert recipe is so much fun for kids and it’s colorful and healthy too!
Red White and Blue Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 16 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- With mixer on medium speed beat butter and sugar until blended, light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended.
- Add milk and vanilla until just combined. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat 1-2 minutes until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners and bake 25 minutes or until tops are golden and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Beat butter until creamy. Gradually add confectioners sugar and beat until blended.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. As you beat the frosting it will become lighter in color, creamier and fluffier.
- Attach piping tip and pastry bag. Paint red and blue lines inside pastry bag. Carefully fill pastry bag with frosting and pipe onto tops of cupcakes and top with a cherry.
First Published: July 4 ,2018... Last Updated: May, 27 2022