Easy to make, our colorful red white and blue sugar cookies are fun for kids and especially delicious too! Ideal for Memorial Day and Labor Day too!
With just four basic kitchen ingredients and some patriotic food colors, you can celebrate our country’s birthday with our 4th of July Sugar Cookies.
Celebrating our nation’s birthday calls for patriotic desserts to go along with the fireworks. Our colorful cookies are just what you need on your holiday dessert table.
Butter, sugar, flour and vanilla extract combine with food colors for easy to make homemade sugar cookies. Our red white and blue cookies will be fun for kids to make with you too.
Making our homemade sugar cookies is as easy as can be with basic kitchen ingredients you’ll have on hand.
So get out the butter, sugar, flour and vanilla and make a delicious cookie dough. You then divide the dough into three equal pieces and color one piece red and another piece blue with food color gel.
Next, shape each piece of dough into an 8-inch long by 1 ½-inches wide by ¼-inch thick shape.
Then stack the colors on top of each other and roll in wax paper or parchment paper and freeze about 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to slice.
Slice, sprinkle with cake sparkles, if desired, and bake!
See, it really is quite easy to make these striped cookies. Not only will everyone be impressed, these cookies are so much fun to serve and eat too!
Here at Swirls there are lots of easy cookie recipes for you to bake!
How to make 4th of July Sugar Cookies
Scroll down for the full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts in the recipe card below
- Bake into delicious sugar cookies!
- Make and color a simple sugar cookie dough
- Stack the colors on top of each other
- Freeze and slice
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Turn these patriotic cookies into mini ice cream sandwiches and fill with your favorite ice cream then roll the edges in sprinkles
- Add red white and blue sprinkles to the white cookie dough
- Change the colors for different occasions, such as green and red for the holidays and shades of green for Saint Patrick’s Day!
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract
- Store cookies in an airtight container or a plastic food storage bag
- Cookies should be kept at room temperature
- Cookies will stay fresh for 3-4 days
- As always, I find it helpful to visit the FDA website for food storage guidelines
Easy Cookie Recipes
- Air Fryer Peanut Butter Cookies
- Brown Butter Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft M&M Cookies from Just A Taste
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
Ingredients for red white and blue cookies
- vanilla extract
- red gel food color
- blue gel food color
- clear cake sparkles, optional
Fourth of July Recipes
Check out these easy red white and blue recipes that will be a delicious addition to your July 4th menu too!
Berry Sangria Slushy, an easy frozen drink recipe with just two ingredients, will be the hit of your red, white and blue holiday gatherings. A bottle of sangria and your favorite frozen berries are all it takes to whirl up your favorite childhood summertime beverage with an adult twist! Our wine slushie recipe is the grown up slushie that will satisfy the kid in you!
Jalapeno Lime Summer Fruit Salad, an easy fruit salad recipe that’s filled with sweet juicy berries and watermelon, fresh mint, zesty lime and a hint of jalapeno heat, is a refreshing addition to your summer menu! And it’s all dressed up for the 4th of July!
Bursting with the fresh flavors of a strawberry filling with a hint of orange, No-Bake Berry Tartlets is a quick and easy fruit tart recipe. A red white and blue dessert that’s a perfect addition on your patriotic menu or any dessert menu!
Red White and Blue 4th of July Cookies
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar until blended and fluffy.
- Add flour and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Divide dough half and refrigerate half of the dough.
- Divide remaining dough into three equal pieces.
- Tint one piece of cookie dough blue.
- Tint one piece of cookie dough red.
- Shape each piece of dough (red, white and blue) into a log 8-inches long 1 ½ inches wide and about ¼-inch thick.
- Place blue dough on flat surface. Top with white dough then red dough.
- Roll in wax paper or parchment paper and freeze 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Repeat with remaining refrigerated cookie dough.
- Slice chilled cookie dough log into 18 cookies.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with cake sparkles.
- Bake 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden.
- Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining chilled cookie dough log.