Spring has officially arrived on the calendar but lately some days make me wonder. Rainy windy days, crazy thunderstorms and a sky filled with dark threatening clouds are all reminders that I need to patient with this season’s transition. So in the meantime, there’s nothing quite as comforting, when there’s still a chill in the air, as a bowl of chili that’s been simmering on the stove. A twist on your typical beef chili, Triple Bean Barbecue Chicken Chili is made with juicy tender chicken thighs and flavored with a honey barbecue sauce. Add three types of beans, corn and diced tomatoes, simmer and enjoy!
Triple Bean Barbecue Chicken Chili
1 Tbs. oil
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1″ pieces
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
1 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 (16 oz.) can vegetarian fiesta baked beans in their sauce, such as Goya
1 (15.5 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can white kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes in thier juices
1 (8.5 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
2/3 cup honey barbecue sauce, such as Kraft
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 scallion, thinly sliced on diagonal, 1/4 cup
corn chips, such as Fritos, serving suggestion
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken; cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
3. Stir in onion, chili powder and salt. Cook until onion is just tender, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add baked beans in their sauce, red kidney beans, white kidney beans, tomatoes and their juices, corn and barbecue sauce.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and mixture is hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in cilantro. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and scallion. For added crunch, garnish with corn chips, if desired.
Makes 8 cups.