Craving one of those indulgent restaurant appetizers? Well, there’s no need to go to a restaurant anymore. You can indulge in smothered fries in the comfort of your home…..and feel like you are dining out…..when you make these Cheesy Chili Smothered Waffle Fries! Crispy waffle fries are smothered with a spicy chili that’s stuffed and also topped with hot melty cheddar cheese and garnished with chopped tomatoes and scallions, just like you would find on a menu! Perfect for your Super Bowl party or next family movie night!
Cheesy Chili Smothered Waffle Fries
1 pkg. (22 oz.) frozen waffle fries
1 lb. ground beef
1 envelope (1.25 oz.) chili seasoning mix
1 can (10 oz.) Ro Tel original diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 8 ounces, divided
2 scallions, chopped, 1/2 cup
1 plum tomato, chopped, 1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven according to package directions for waffle fries. Bake fries according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet cook ground beef and chili seasoning mix over medium-high heat until beef is browned.
3. Stir in RoTel diced tomatoes and green chilies with their juices. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until beef is cooked and mixture is heated through.
4. Transfer waffle fries to microwave-safe serving platter. Top with one cup of the chili mixture, 1 cup shredded cheddar, remaining chili mixture and remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar.
5. Heat in microwave until cheese is melted. Timing will depend on wattage of your microwave.
6. Top with scallions and chopped tomato. Serve with spoons!
Makes 8 servings.