Creamy Cheddar Mac ‘N Cheese is the perfect comfort food to help kick off the New Year and this recipe will feed a crowd! Having a quiet New Year’s Day relaxing at home? You can easily halve this recipe to feed just a few! Creamy sharp cheddar sauce not only coats the pasta but also hides inside the little shells making each bite pop with cheesiness! Happy New Year!
Creamy Cheddar Mac ‘N Cheese
1 lb. medium pasta shells
2 cans (12 oz. each) evaporated milk
1 Tbs. flour
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. dry mustard
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup baked cheese crackers, crushed, such as Cheez-Its
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 2.5-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
3. Combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk and flour, stirring until blended.
4. In pasta pot, cook evaporated milk mixture, remaining evaporated milk, 2 cups cheddar cheese, Worcestershire, dry mustard, kosher salt, pepper and reserved pasta water over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened, smooth and blended, stirring often.
5. Stir in cooked pasta and toss until evenly coated. Transfer pasta to prepared baking dish*.
6. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Combine crushed crackers and melted butter and sprinkle over top.
7. Bake 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and pasta is hot and bubbly.
Makes 10 cups/10-12 servings.
* To make ahead, prepare up to this point and then refrigerate. When ready to cook, remove baking dish from refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Continue preparing topping with remaining cheese and cracker topping. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.