There's nothing quite like the comfort of macaroni 'n cheese. Enhance it with the fall flavor of butternut squash and comfort never tasted so good! This recipe is so versatile that you can get daring and switch out the butternut squash for sweet potato, acorn squash, zucchini or even fresh pumpkin! And you might even get your kids to eat their veggies! They'll say it's fabulously delicious!
Butternut Squash Macaroni 'N Cheese
2 Tbs. butter
1 lb. butternut squash cubes, about 3 heaping cups
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
1 tsp. dried marjoram
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. cavatappi pasta
8 oz. Fontina cheese, grated, 3 cups
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 6-cup baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In large non-stick skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook butternut squash, onion, marjoram, kosher salt and pepper until mixture is just tender, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente according to package directions; drain.
4. Combine vegetable mixture and pasta in prepared baking dish.
5. Reserve 1 cup Fontina cheese. In same large non-stick skillet heat evaporated milk until hot. Stir in mozzarella and remaining Fontina cheese. Reduce heat to medium; stir constantly until cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour over pasta mixture in baking dish. Toss until evenly coated.
6. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover. Combine Panko and reserved 1 cup Fontina cheese. Sprinkle over pasta.
7. Bake, uncovered, additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted, breadcrumbs are golden and mixture is hot and bubbly.
Makes 6-8 servings.