Our Best Ever Crumb Cake is piled high with buttery crumbs and made with simple basic ingredients from your fridge and pantry.
Christmas morning brunch and a piece of the best ever crumb cake are the perfect match. Santa has arrived, the kids are hopping for joy and now it's time for a piping hot cup of coffee and, what else? A piece of our crumb cake recipe piled high with buttery crumbs, of course!
Every bite of our moist crumb cake recipe is heavenly when a rich vanilla-scented cake is topped with buttery cinnamon crumbs kissed with powdered sugar!
Trust me when I tell you that this is the best ever rich buttery crumb cake you’ll ever taste!
And you probably have all the basic ingredients to bake up this old fashioned crumb cake recipe in your kitchen right now!
Butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, milk and salt for the cake. More flour, more sugar, more butter and brown sugar and cinnamon for the crumbs. Oh, and don't forget the confectioners' sugar for a sweet dusting.
All it takes are those simple basic ingredients from your fridge and pantry for the best crumb cake you'll ever taste!
Every bite of our easy crumb cake recipe is heavenly when a rich vanilla-scented cake is topped with buttery cinnamon crumbs kissed with powdered sugar!
Crumb coffee cake recipes are what holiday mornings are made of and your holiday mornings will be truly delicious every time you bake up our recipe.
I invite you to kick up your feet now and enjoy the Best Ever Crumb Cake, an easy as pie recipe...but of course it's cake!
Granola With Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits is another delicious way to start your day!
Crumb Cake FAQ’s
Are crumb cake and coffee cake the same?
Crumb cake and coffee cake are very similar but not exactly the same. Typically coffee cake has a bigger cake layer and less crumb topping.
Crumb cake has a thicker layer of crumbs on top of its’ cake layer.
How to store crumb cake
Crumb cake will stay fresh for 3-4 days when you store it at room temperature and tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. You can also store it in an airtight container.
How to freeze crumb cake
You can freeze your crumb cake before dusting with confectioners’ sugar. Simply wrap your crumb cake tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil.
To defrost, place wrapped crumb cake in the refrigerator and let it defrost.
Unwrap and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Stir in your favorite sprinkles for a festive crumb cake
- Add mini chocolate chips to the cake batter
- Be sure to measure your flour correctly! Spoon flour into your measuring cup then level off with the flat end of a knife
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- granulated sugar
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- dark brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- confectioners’ sugar
- holiday sprinkles
Your holiday morning brunch will be extra delicious with any of our easy to make holiday brunch recipes!
Cinnamon Bun Bread Pudding is a perfect addition to your holiday brunch menu! Every bite has the flavors of a cinnamon bun! Start with a brown sugar cinnamon butter layer topped with challah bread soaked in vanilla custard and finish it off with even more brown sugar mixture on top. Oh, and don’t forget the sweetened cream cheese that’s stuffed in the middle!
With just four ingredients, you’ll happily be making these from-scratch pancakes Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes over and over again for breakfast, a holiday brunch or even as breakfast for dinner!
Flourless Chocolate Oat Pancakes are made with just four ingredients. Bananas, eggs and oats combine to form these gluten free pancakes and cocoa powder takes them to another level making them a chocolate treat!
Breakfast was never easier than with Sheet Pan Banana Bread Pancakes, pancakes that bake in the oven while you're getting ready for your day!
Best Ever Crumb Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 13-inch by 9-inch baking sheet with shallow sides with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang. Coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- With mixer on medium-high beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined, occasionally scraping sides of bowl.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and gradually beat in flour and salt until blended.
- Add milk and beat until smooth, thick and blended, about 2 minutes.
- Spread cake batter evenly in prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Cake will be only partially baked at this point. Top of cake should be slightly jiggly and wet so the crumbs will adhere when you place them on top in the next step.
- Meanwhile, in bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter until blended.
- Using hands, shape into crumbs and arrange on top of partially baked cake batter.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until cake is baked through and crumbs are slightly golden.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes. Using foil overhang, lift crumb cake out of pan and serve warm or cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cut into 16 pieces.
- Add mini chocolate chips to the cake batter
- Stir your favorite sprinkles into the cake batter
- Drizzle with melted chocolate after baking