Have you been wishing for a “best ever” recipe for mashed potatoes? Garlic Mashed Potatoes are sure to become your go-to recipe! Cloves of garlic boil along with the potatoes and impart just a hint of sweet garlic. Top with a panko, parsley and butter mixture after mashing and pop in the oven for a piping hot golden crusted creamy casserole. But this recipe is so versatile that if you don’t like garlic, just leave it out! If you prefer not to have a buttery crunchy topping, just leave it off……and no need to even pop it in the oven….just mash and serve! Feed a crowd or halve the recipe when you’re having a smaller more intimate gathering or a quick weeknight dinner. These potatoes can be whatever you want them to be!
Panko Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3 lbs. all-purpose potatoes, peeled, cut in chunks, about 9 cups
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup sour cream
8 Tbs. butter, melted, divided
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
3 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 8-cup baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Fill pot with potatoes, garlic and enough cold water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
3. Mash potato mixture. For a smooth whipped potato I recommend using an electric mixer to mash.
4. Add sour cream, 6 Tbs. melted butter, kosher salt and pepper and continue mashing until blended. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
5. In small bowl combine Panko, parsley and remaining 2 Tbs. melted butter. Top mashed potatoes with breadcrumb mixture to cover.
6. Bake 25 minutes or until topping is golden.
Makes 12 servings, about 7 cups.