With just five ingredients, Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix slowly cooks into tender perfection in the slow cooker or in your oven. Beef, onion soup mix, carrots, potatoes and broth are all it takes to make this classic comfort food dinner.
Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
Any time is a good time for comfort food and Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix is just that.
A one-pot meal that the entire family is going to love!
Fork-tender beef, sweet carrots and tasty potatoes are flavored with a mild onion gravy.
Beef broth and homemade onion soup mix combine to form a light and flavorful sauce. You can also use a packet of onion soup mix.
However, homemade onion soup mix makes this recipe better than Lipton onion soup pot roast which is a throwback to my childhood years.
Cooking this casserole long and slow in the crockpot makes the beef chunk transform into tender forkfuls that melt in your mouth.
If you prefer to cook your pot roast in the oven, instead of in the crockpot, you can cook it in a roasting pan covered with aluminum foil, a dutch oven or a casserole dish, also covered with foil. Scroll down for the oven directions for pot roast below.
This classic recipe brings back delicious childhood memories of Sunday dinner together with family.
It's such an easy recipe, just combine ingredients and let it slow cook, and you can also make it for a weeknight dinner too.
Literally, the best part of this recipe is that you can put the ingredients in the crockpot or even in the oven, walk away, and your dinner cooks itself.
And yes, the cooking time is long, but the slow cooking makes for the most tender pot roast ever.
With so much flavor, you are guaranteed to love this classic pot roast with the first forkful and it will taste just as amazing as leftovers the next day too!
Serve with dinner rolls and a tossed salad and you're all set!
The ultimate comfort food dinner, with just five ingredients, that cooks itself, is a win-win in my book!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
How to make onion soup pot roast
Scroll down for the full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts in the recipe card below
- Arrange carrots and potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker
- Top with the chuck roast
- Combine the beef broth and onion soup mix and pour over the top of the beef roast
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until the beef is fork tender.
How to cook pot roast in the oven
You can easily cook this casserole in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Place the beef chuck roast, carrots and potatoes in a large roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Combine beef broth and onion soup mix and pour over the beef and vegetables.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Be sure to use a large roasting pan, casserole baking dish or a dutch oven, covered, if making this recipe in the oven instead of in the slow cooker
- I prefer to use baby Yukon gold potatoes for their buttery texture
- You can easily substitute an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix for the three tablespoons of homemade onion soup mix
- Substitute your favorite root vegetables, such as parsnips or rutabagas, for the carrots.
- Prefer sweet potatoes? Just peel and cut into bite size chunks and substitute for the potatoes
- Use 1/4 cup red wine in place of 1/4 cup beef broth
What to serve with pot roast
- Green Salad
- Homemade Bread Without Yeast
- Homemade Sweet Dinner Rolls from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cheese Beer Bread from Jersey Girl Cooks
- Store any leftover pot roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Pot roast and vegetables will stay fresh, in the refrigerator, for about 3-4 days.
- As always, I find it helpful to visit the FDA website for food storage guidelines
Ingredients for onion soup mix pot roast
- boneless chuck roast
- onion soup mix
- beef broth
- baby carrots
- baby potatoes
Pot Roast With Onion Soup Mix
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Arrange carrots and potatoes inbottom of your slow cooker.
- Top with the chuck roast.
- Combine the beef broth andonion soup mix and pour over the beef.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high, until beef is fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place beef chuck roast, carrots and potatoes in a roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Combine beef broth and onion soup mix and pour over beef and vegetables.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours or until beef is fork tender.