I’ve seen it done with zucchini, sweet potatoes, steak, tomatoes, fish, chicken, french toast and even hot dogs! Hasselback! It all started back in the 1950’s with Hasselback Potatoes and now it’s everywhere on a multitude of foods! A great way to guarantee that each and every bite is bursting with all the flavors of the recipe! The Hasselback style originated many decades ago in a restaurant in Stockholm called Hasselbacken, hence the name. With pockets of cheddar cheese and bacon, and a smoky barbecue sauce slathered all over, every bite of Hasselback Barbecue Bacon Cheddar Chicken will wow your taste buds! And did I mention it’s just four ingredients? Bonus!
- 1 piece (4 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce*
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 lbs.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange chicken breasts on baking sheet with shallow sides. Cut slits (pockets) into tops of chicken pieces 1-inch apart, about 3/4 of the way down, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Cut cheddar cheese and bacon into small pieces that will fit into pockets. Arrange cheese and bacon in pockets and brush chicken pieces with half of the barbecue sauce. (See photos below)
- Cook 20 minutes. Brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Return to oven and cook additional 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Chicken will register 165F on meat thermometer and juices will run clear when done.
- *I used Trader Joe's Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Sauce and it was fabulous!