Onions slowly caramelize making them sweet and tender giving our Caramelized Onion Dip With Bacon a richness like no other onion dip recipe. Add crispy bacon to create a flavor combination that is to die for! This homemade onion dip will definitely become a family favorite and the star of your party!
Caramelized Onion Dip
I'm going to admit that sometimes I do buy prepared sour cream and onion dip at the grocery store. And I do like it. I know, I know. Sorry, not sorry!
But I absolutely LOVE my homemade Caramelized Onion Dip With Bacon recipe. And we all know that everything is better with bacon! There truly is no comparison.
Actually anything homemade is hands down better than store bought, in my humble culinary opinion.
A vidalia onion dip is something you most likely cannot buy at the store giving you more reasons to make your own homemade onion dip.
Onions are slowly caramelized making them sweet and tender and then combined with crispy bacon creating a flavor combination that is to die for!
Our recipe for onion dip is the perfect kick-off to the Super Bowl kick-off this weekend!
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Stop by the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
What is French onion dip?
French onion dip, also known as California dip, is actually an American dip. It is usually made with a sour cream base that is seasoned with minced onion and beef bouillon. This dip is typically served with potato chips and referred to as “chips and dip”.
How to make homemade onion dip
Scroll down for the full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts in the recipe card below
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions and cook until onions are deep golden, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Add bouillon, reduce heat to low and cook additional 5 minutes; let cool.
- Set aside 1 Tablespoon crumbled bacon and 1 Tablespoon parsley.
- Combine sour cream, onion mixture, remaining bacon and parsley in a bowl.
- Top with reserved bacon and parsley and serve with your favorite dippers or chips.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Garnish with sliced scallions
- Make it a triple onion dip and use sweet onions, shallots and red onions
- You can substitute yellow onions for the sweet onions
- Use turkey bacon in place of the bacon
- Substitute plain Greek yogurt for half of the sour cream
- Substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream
Ingredients for bacon onion dip
- sweet onions
- beef bouillon granules
- sour cream
Easy Appetizer Recipes
I do love a Super Bowl party but, another admission here, not for the football. I'm there for the food and there must be lots of food for all those hungry fans. Personally, a whole lot of appetizers will make me a happy girl. Check these out!
Caramelized Onion Dip With Bacon
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 3 cups chopped sweet onion , such as Vidalia, about 2 large onions
- 2 Tbs. beef bouillon granules
- 1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
- 6 slices bacon , cooked crisp and crumbled, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- In large non-stick skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 25 minutes or until onions are deep golden, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in bouillon, reduce heat to low and cook additional 5 minutes; let cool.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon crumbled bacon and 1 Tablespoon parsley.
- In bowl combine sour cream, onion mixture, remaining bacon and parsley.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and parsley and serve with your favorite chips.
- Make with assorted onions, such as sweet onion, shallots and red onion
- Top with sliced scallions