Our Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookie Recipe will surely be a holiday favorite. It’s nutty flavor and tender texture is smothered with confectioners’ sugar making every bite of these pecan cookies a true delight!
I received products from sponsor companies for the creation of my Christmas Cookies Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Snowball Cookie Recipe
Holiday baking season is in full swing with our snowball cookies recipe!
A traditional Christmas cookie, our pecan cookies combine flour with pecan meal and rich flavored toasted pecans.
Easy to make, these cookies have a tender crumb from the addition of confectioners’ sugar to the cookie dough.
Top it off by rolling them in more confectioners’ sugar and the holidays have arrived!
Be sure to toast the pecans so that they impart a deep rich nutty flavor to these sweet treats.
The pecan meal adds a depth of flavor but you can easily replace the pecan meal with the same amount of flour.
Ok, my mouth is watering for these pecan snowball cookies and a cup of warm soothing tea. How about you?
Be sure to scroll down and enter the giveway of gifts from the sponsors of #Christmas Cookie Week!
Snowball Cookies FAQ’s
Are confectioners’ sugar and powdered sugar the same?
Yes, confectioners’ sugar and powdered sugar are two names for the same type of sugar. It is also sometimes called 10X and icing sugar.
What is confectioners’ sugar?
Confectioners’ sugar is just granulated sugar that’s been ground up to a powder texture and is mixed with a small amount of cornstarch.
How does powdered sugar affect cookies?
Powdered sugar, also known as confectioners’ sugar makes cookies soft and tender. This sugar is very fine and has a bit of cornstarch added to prevent clumping which adds to the soft and tender texture.
How do you make powdered sugar stick to cookies?
Place the powdered sugar in a bowl and roll the cookies around until they are well coated. Sugar will easily stick to warm cookies too.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Toasted pecans will give you a nuttier flavor
- Use your food processor to finely chop the pecans
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up
- Add almond extract for added flavor
- Confectioners’ sugar and powdered sugar are the same
- Substitute flour for the pecan meal
- Stir in finely chopped dried cranberries for more holiday flavor
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- confectioners’ sugar
- vanilla extract
- pecan meal
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post
Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Arrange pecans in a single layer on baking sheet. Toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes; let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325F.
- With mixer at medium speed, beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar and beat until blended.
- Add vanilla extract then gradually add flour, pecan meal and salt until combined.
- Stir in toasted pecan.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour until chilled.
- Divide dough into 36 balls and arrange 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake 2o minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack.
- Let cool about 5 minutes then roll cookies in remaining ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
• Toast the pecans for a nuttier flavor
• Chop the pecans in your food processor to
• Replace the pecan meal with an equal amount of flour
• Add finely chopped dried cranberries
• For easy clean up line your baking sheet with parchment paper
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800's, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950's, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.
Be sure to enter below for a chance to win these fabulous prizes!
Friday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Bonbons by That Recipe
- Chocolate Caramel Butter Pecan Shortbread Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Chocolate Dipped Soft Gingerbread Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Espresso Icebox Cookies by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Chocolate-Dipped Orange Logs by Eat Move Make
- Christmas Magic Bars by Devour Dinner
- Christmas Monster Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies by Blogghetti
- Frosted Eggnog Bars by Family Around the Table
- Grinch Heart Thumbprint Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Holiday Everything Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Honey Walnut Cookies by Books n' Cooks
- Kahlua Mudslide Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Lavender Snickerdoodles by Palatable Pastime
- Linzer Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Little Monster Cookie Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Maple Sugar Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mocha Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Making Miracles
- Mocha Sandies by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Bark Surprise Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Pinwheel Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Poppyseed Shortbread by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Sadie's Double Pecan Butter Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Small Batch Pecan Fingers by Art of Natural Living
- Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Spiced Holiday Cutouts by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- White Chocolate Dipped Ginger Molasses Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks