Christmas Pinwheel Cookies make the holidays even more festive! An easy homemade cookie dough is tinted with holiday colors and rolled into pinwheels. Just roll, slice and bake. So much fun for the holidays!
I received products from sponsor companies for the creation of my Christmas Cookies Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
Everyone will want to help make this simple cookie recipe that rolls up into fun spiral cookies.
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Make them even more festive and roll in holiday sprinkles. These red and green pinwheel cookies will put a smile on everyone’s face.
With just four ingredients, plus food coloring, these cookies will be ready just in time for Santa’s arrival.
Add a glass of milk and Santa won’t want to leave!
Be sure to visit the Swirls of Flavor Amazon Storefront for GG's personal kitchen recommendations!
Pinwheel Cookies FAQ’s
What are pinwheel cookies?
Pinwheel cookies are a basic cookie dough recipe that gets dyed with food colors. The doughs get rolled up together to create a swirl design. Then slice and bake.
How to make pinwheel cookies
- Make your homemade cookie dough and tint with food colors
- Roll out doughs
- Stack doughs on top of each other
- Roll up and chill
- Slice and bake
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Add peppermint extract for a festive holiday flavor
- Be sure that your butter is at room temperature for easy creaming
- You can substitute your favorite colors of food coloring to make pinwheels cookies
Ingredients for Christmas pinwheel cookies
- vanilla extract
- red food color
- green food color
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Beat butter and sugar until blended and fluffy.
- Add flour and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Divide dough in half. Tint one half of dough with red food color. Tint remaining half of dough with green food color.
- Divide each piece in half again. You should now have two red and two green pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one red dough and then one green dough each into a 1/4 -inch thick rectangle, about 5” x 10”.
- Place one piece on top of the other and roll into a log beginning with longer side.
- Roll in sprinkles, if desired.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining red and green doughs.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.
- Unwrap and slice each log into 24 slices.
- Arrange on baking sheet 2-inches apart and bake 15 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Add peppermint extract for a holiday flavor
- Add almond extract for added flavor
- Always let butter come to room temperature for easy creaming
Join in for a chance to win prizes!
This giveaway is closed.
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800's, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950's, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.
Tuesday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Butter Pecan Icebox Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Chocolate Cake Mix Snickerdoodles by Family Around the Table
- Caramel Cashew Cookies by Making Miracles
- Dark Chocolate Orange Biscotti by Sweet Beginnings
- Fruit Cake Cookies with Rum Glaze by Books n' Cooks
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Kołaczki Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Mexican Wedding Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Raspberry White Chocolate Pecan Christmas Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Turtle Cookies by An Affair from the Heart