With Christmas right around the corner it’s time to start baking up some fabulously delicious holiday cookies! Looking for a quick and easy cookie to bake up that starts with a mix and ends up tasting homemade? By adding just a few extra ingredients to a sugar cookie mix you’ll have swirls of flavor filling your home as you bake up a batch of Coconutty Almond Sugar Cookies! I’m sorry to say that you will most likely have a difficult time waiting for them to cool before indulging….I personally find them just too tempting to resist!
Coconutty Almond Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 pkg (17.5 oz.) sugar cookie cookie mix, such as Betty Crocker
6 Tbs. butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. almond extract
24 whole almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Combine coconut and sliced almonds and then arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
3. With mixer on medium-high combine sugar cookie mix, butter, egg and almond extract until a dough forms.
4. Stir toasted coconut almond mixture into dough until blended.
5. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball. Arrange, in batches, on baking sheet.
6. Fill one small bowl with cold water. Fill another small bowl with granulated sugar. Dip flat bottom of a glass into water, then dip into sugar to coat. Gently press onto cookie dough ball to make 2-inch diameter round cookie. Press whole almond into center of cookie. Repeat with all cookies.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms and edges are golden. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack. Cool completely….if you can resist!
Makes 24 cookies.