As the seasons change from summer to autumn I'm hanging on to grilling season for just a little bit longer. One of my absolute favorite flavor combinations is rosemary and lemon. With my rosemary plant thriving on my deck I thought it only fitting to savor the summertime flavor of fresh herbs with Rosemary Lemon Grilled Chicken. Actually, I cannot tell a lie....my rosemary plant is not thriving on my deck. I am known in my family as the rosemary plant killer. Each year for Mother's Day I subtly suggest that one of my sons might want to give me a rosemary plant. And each year I get my new rosemary plant. And each year I manage to kill that rosemary plant.....which I guess is why I need to request a new one year after year. It has gotten to be a joke now and when I get my yearly rosemary plant I am told "Happy Mother's Day Mom, here's this year's rosemary plant for you to kill!" I am happy to report that this year's rosemary plant has managed to survive.....somewhat.....at least enough to make a fabulously delicious Rosemary Lemon Grilled Chicken!
Rosemary Lemon Grilled Chicken
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Tbs. lemon zest
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lemon, thinly sliced crosswise, about 8 slices
1. In bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, kosher salt and cracked black pepper until blended. Reserve 1 Tbs. lemon mixture.
2. Transfer remaining lemon mixture to ziplock plastic food storage bag. Add chicken. Marinate in refrigerator 2-4 hours, turning once.
3. Preheat grill for direct-heat grilling.
4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
5. Grill chicken until juices run clear and meat thermometer reads 165F, turning once, and brushing with reserved lemon mixture during last 5 minutes of grilling.
6. Remove chicken from grill. Arrange on serving dish. Let stand 5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, grill lemon slices until just caramelized, about 2-3 minutes, turning once. Serve lemon slices with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.