Coconut Lemon Cake is an easy recipe for a from-scratch layer cake. A homemade coconut buttercream dusted with flaked coconut surrounds moist cake layers.
Coconut Lemon Layer Cake
Our homemade coconut cake recipe is the perfect ending to any meal, especially an Easter or springtime celebration. When you say coconut cake with lemon filling you can't help but think of springtime!
This easy coconut cake recipe bakes up into moist decadent layers with the perfect balance of coconut flavoring. A homemade coconut frosting and flaked coconut surround a tangy lemon filling.
Coconut and lemon are such a classic flavor combination and our tangy lemon filling making every bite a taste of deliciousness!
Every bite of this flavorful extra moist coconut cake recipe will make your taste buds dance!
It’s time to bake up our simple coconut cake recipe. Trust me when I say, it will be a fabulous ending to your spring time meal.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Spread raspberry preserves between the layers before adding the filling
- Be sure to measure your flour correctly! Spoon flour into measuring cup and then level with the flat side of a knife
- For a double citrus flavor, stir orange zest into the filling
Coconut Cake FAQ’s
Should you refrigerate coconut cake?
A coconut cake frosted with a buttercream frosting does not need to be refrigerated. It will stay fresh at room temperature for about 3 days.
How long does coconut cake last in the refrigerator?
Loosely cover the cake before putting it in the refrigerator. The cake should last about 5 days when stored in the refrigerator.
What flavor goes with coconut cake?
Flavors that pair well with coconut cake include:
How to make a coconut layer cake
- Preheat your oven to 350F and then grease and flour cake pans. Line bottoms of cake pans with parchment pper
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs until blended.
- With mixer on low add flour mixture and coconut milk, alternately, until blended.
- Add vanilla and coconut extracts and coconut extract and beat until batter is fluffy.
- Spread batter into prepared pans and bake 45 minutes.
- Cool cakes 10 minutes in pans then transfer to wire racks, remove parchment paper, and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat 1 1/2 cups butter until smooth.
- Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and beat until blended.
- Stir in milk, vanilla extract and coconut extract and beat until light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, stir together 1/2 cup frosting and lemon curd until blended.
- Place one cake layer on serving dish and top with lemon filling.
- Place second cake layer on top and frost top and sides of cake the sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- large eggs
- coconut milk
- vanilla extract
- coconut extract
- confectioners’ sugar
- lemon curd
- shredded coconut
I make commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Coconut Lemon Cake is an easy homemade coconut cake recipe topped with coconut buttercream and flaked coconut. A tangy lemon filling makes every bite a taste of heaven!
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and reserve.
With mixer on medium-high speed, beat 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
Add eggs and beat until blended.
Reduce mixer speed to low and alternately add flour mixture and coconut milk until blended.
Add vanilla extract and coconut extract and beat at medium-high speed until batter is fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
Transfer batter to prepared pans.
Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers of cakes come out clean.
Cool in pans 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks, removing parchment paper.
With mixer on medium-high beat 1 1/2 cups butter until smooth, 1 minute.
Gradually add confectioners' sugar beating until blended.
Add milk, vanilla extract and coconut extract and beat until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
Combine 1/2 cup frosting and lemon curd in a small bowl, stirring until blended.
Place one cake layer on serving dish. Top with lemon filling. Top with remaining cake layer and frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.