Never tasted Picadillo or never even heard of it? Well then, you're in for a treat today! This Spanish and Latin American classic is truly filled with swirls of flavor! Spicy, saucy, sweet and savory.... Picadillo has it all! From the Spanish word "picar" meaning to mince or to chop, Picadillo is a combination of ground beef seasoned with both the sweet and savory spices of cinnamon and cumin, and complimented by sweet red bell pepper, saucy tomatoes, onion, golden raisins and green olives. Eat it on it’s own or rolled up in a tortilla with rice, either way it will soon become a go-to favorite weeknight dinner!
Spicy, Saucy, Sweet & Savory Picadillo!
1 Tbs. oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped, 1 1/2 cups
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef*
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) petite cut diced tomatoes with chipotle chilies
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
cooked rice, tortillas, lime slices, serving suggestions
1. In large deep-sided non-stick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Cook red pepper, onion, raisins, olives, cinnamon, kosher salt and cumin until just tender, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add ground beef. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, 10-12 minutes.
4. Add diced tomatoes with their juices and tomato sauce.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and mixture is tender, hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
6. Serve with rice and/or tortillas.
Makes 6 cups.
*Want to make it healthier? Just substitute ground turkey for the ground beef!