Here in Jersey we are in a deep freeze and may I mention that I’m not too happy about it? We’ve had snow and ice storms twice in the last three days and temperatures warm way up to the mid-30’s during the day (yes, I’m being sarcastic!) and plummet into the single digits at night. Add in the wind chill factor and it’s definitely time to simmer up a pot of Hearty Potato Kale Soup! What could be better than a tummy-warming soup brimming with kale, the amazing superfood? Kale is related to brocoli, cauliflower, collard greens and Brussel sprouts. Not only is kale rich in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C and calcium, it also has anti-cancer properties, boosts DNA repair in cells, lowers cholesterol and decreases the absorption of dietary fat. Now that’s a vegetable with super powers!
Hearty Potato Kale Soup
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 large carrots, peeled, sliced, 2 cups
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cubes, 2 cups
2 ribs celery, sliced, 1 cup
1 onion, chopped, 1 cup
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth*
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onions
1 pkg. (5 oz.) baby kale leaves
1. Heat oil, marjoram, kosher salt and pepper in pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add carrots, potatoes, celery and onion. Cook until just softened, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add broth and diced tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
5. Stir in baby kale leaves. Simmer until leaves are wilted, 2-3 minutes.
Makes 6 cups.
* For a Meatless Monday soup simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth!