It’s Meatless Monday! The Meatless Monday campaign has been in full swing since 2003 improving your health and the health of our planet. This international campaign encourages people not to eat meat on Mondays which reduces your chances of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity, helping you to live longer while improving your diet. By eating meatless your carbon footprint is also reduced saving precious resources such as fossil fuel and fresh water, making our planet healthier too. Sounds like a win-win situation for both you and our planet, so why not? Cheesy Stuffed Zucchini is not only fabulously delicious but also a fabulous way to celebrate your Meatless Monday!
Cheesy Stuffed Zucchini
1 lb. zucchini
2 Tbs. olive oil. divided
1 cup chopped mini sweet peppers, about 4 mini peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
fresh oregano leaves, optional garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Halve zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out and reserve seeds and soft center flesh of zucchini to within 1/4-inch of edges and bottom forming “zucchini boats”. Brush inside of hollowed zucchini with 1 Tbs. olive oil. Place on prepared baking sheet.
3. Chop reserved zucchini seeds and soft flesh (about 1 cup chopped).
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook chopped zucchini, sweet peppers, onion, garlic, dried oregano, kosher salt and pepper until mixture is tender, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and Panko breadcrumbs.
6. Arrange filling mixture inside cavities of prepared “zucchini boats”.
7. Bake 20 minutes. Top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella. Bake additional 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.
8. Garnish with fresh oregano leaves, if desired.