Brown Rice Taco Bowl Recipe
Our Brown Rice Taco Bowl Recipe is filled with seasoned beef and salsa, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cheddar cheese and red onion over good-for-you brown rice. All the flavors of a taco in a bowl! Make it Whole30 with just three simple substitutions!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice OR 3 cups hot cooked brown rice (see Whole30 substitution in Recipe Notes)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 avocados pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (see Whole30 substitution in Recipe Notes)
- 2 Tbs. chopped red onion
- 4 Tbs. sour cream (see Whole30 substitution in Recipe Notes)
- 1 scallion sliced on diagonal
Cook brown rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet cook ground beef, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt and garlic powder over medium-high heat until beef is cooked through.
Stir in salsa and cook until mixture is heated through,1-2 minutes.
To assemble, divide ingredients evenly between four bowls beginning with brown rice. Top rice with ground beef mixture, avocado, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and red onion.
Garnish with sour cream and sliced scallions. Serve with additional salsa, if desired.
Make It Whole30: With these three simple substitutions our Taco Bowl recipe will be your next new Whole30 recipe:
1. Substitute cauliflower rice for the brown rice. Steam the cauliflower rice in your microwave.
2. Substitute non dairy sour cream for the sour cream. Cashew sour cream will work well.
3. Substitute non dairy shredded cheddar cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Vegan shredded cheese is readily available and will be a great substitution.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Arrange your taco toppings over shredded lettuce
- Arrange your taco toppings over lentils
- Arrange your taco toppings over cauliflower rice
- Substitute ground turkey for the ground beef
- Substitute picante sauce for the salsa
- Make the recipe with salsa verde
- Season with taco seasoning in place of the chili powder and cumin