Sweet and Spicy Roast Turkey
A brown sugar chili powder butter infuses our turkey under the skin as it roasts. Sweet and spicy notes flavor the turkey and butter helps give it a crispy flavorful skin.
Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange metal rack in roasting pan.
In bowl combine brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and butter until blended.
Spread butter mixture under and over the turkey skin. This step can be done ahead. Then refrigerate turkey until ready to roast.
Roast turkey until juices run clear and meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 180F and inserted in breast reads 170F, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
Allow 15-20 minutes of roasting time per pound. Let turkey rest 15 minutes before carving.
A 12 lb. turkey will serve about 8 adults.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Use a meat thermometer to check when your turkey is done
- Always let your turkey rest after roasting and before carving
- Be sure your turkey is completely thawed before roasting
- Cook your turkey 15-20 minutes per pound when roasting
- Roast turkey until juices run clear and meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 180F and inserted in breast reads 170F
- Baste your turkey occasionally with pan drippings as it's roasting
- Light brown sugar will work well in place of the darl brown sugar
- Substitute ancho chili pepper for the chili powder for a smoky flavor
Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 70g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 254mg | Sodium: 948mg | Potassium: 782mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1036IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3mg