Chocolate Banana Bread
Adding cocoa powder and chocolate chips will turn a basic banana bread into a decadent Chocolate Banana Bread recipe. You’ll not only want a slice for breakfast, you’ll want one for dessert too! Banana bread just got even more delicious!
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
In bowl combine mashed bananas, butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla until blended.
Stir in flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt until just combined.
Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Top with sliced banana halves and remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 15 minutes. Taking bread out of pan sooner might cause it to fall apart.
Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Slice and enjoy!
Makes 12 servings.
Swirls of Flavor Recipe Tips
- Make this recipe with your favorite type of chocolate chips:
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- milk chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- mini chocolate chips
- Add chili powder for a hint of spice
- Add shredded coconut and sliced almonds for an almond Joy candy bar flavor
- Add minced crystallized ginger to the batter
- Stir in chopped nuts
How To Ripen Bananas Quickly
Bananas not ripe yet? No problem.
Here's a simple trick for ripening up bananas quickly and easily in the oven!
- Substitute ground ginger for the ground cinnamon
- Substitute pumpkin pie spice for the ground cinnamon
- Substitute white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bake bananas in their skins on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until skins have blackened
- Cool slightly and scoop banana out of skins
Can you freeze banana bread?
- To store your banana loaf, first let it cool completely.
- Then, wrap your banana bread tightly in plastic wrap or in an airtight container
- Banana bread will last for about 4 days
- It is best not to refrigerate your banana loaf because the refrigerator will draw moisture out of the bread and it will become dry
- Yes, you can freeze banana bread.
- To freeze our chocolate banana bread, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and then wrap it in aluminum foil.
- Let the chocolate banana bread come to room temperature before serving.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 207mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 91IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg